Hydraulic trolley jack - is it bust? 🤔

i was using my hydraulic trolley jack yesterday. when i was levering it up, it would go up and stay up. when it made contact with the car, to begin with, it went up a fraction. however, when it was supposed to be really taking the weight of the car, it would seem as though it would go up a little but then go back down an equal amount. so it wasn’t actually going up any further at all. it still kept its position. i tried several times starting from level. same thing.

its only 1 yr old, its never been used to take weight of car. tried to test it out a few times. its too high really at starting position / car too low, depending on how you look at it.

anyone seen this or know what it is?

thanks

Probably just needs bleeding.

There’ll be a video on youtube for it. Possible it needs a top up, but unlikely unless you know it’s lost some.

1 Like

Make sure valve is fully closed before pumping, being open only a fraction will cause this issue.
Failing that , check oil level and top up if possible.

4 Likes

This is usually a sign that the oil level is low. Once partially pumped up the pump runs out of oil and pumps air. You can get Jack oil at Halfords and the filler plug is usually on top of the larger part of the cylinder case

2 Likes

Often caused by leaving the release screw open when the jack is packed away on its side, so the oil simply drains out.

1 Like

i watched a vid on youtube, i took out the stopper on the top, released all the air, put it back in, it was fine :blush:

2 Likes