I have a decision to make.

Ok, went to BBR on tuesday & test drove (one of) their Super 200 mx5s. 

I will be contacting them in about a month, when the finances are in place to have them fit the upgrade.

Many thanks for all your advice and comments.

Update…booked in at BBR for the super200 on 27th august. 

Supercharge the 5

Not bought a 5 yet, but looking at the BBR 200 as a future step, will be interesting to hear you thoughts post the upgrade.

Will give you my feedback end of the month??

Update.

So, had the BBR super 200 fitted to my Kendo NC about three weeks ago now and have to say Im very very happy with the result. 

At the beginning of this episode I was contemplating selling it and buying an Abarth 595 competizione as a fun drivers car to take its place and an Aygo I use to go to work in during the week.

I actually test drove the Abarth and it was quick and rather fun, but somewhat severe comfort wise.

The power in the Abarth is instant in that you hit the pedal and shoot forward at pace. My MX5 now feels similar although the real change kicks in at 3500 to 4500 revs. then the fun really starts.

I now find myself driving differently, whereas before I drove with an eye on the rev. counter trying to keep the revs. low and actually change up at about 4000 rev. now when I drive Im keeping the revs. hovering at around the 4000 mark and when I can changing down and flooring it, the acceleration is exhilarating. 

Naughty I know, but there is a dual carriageway on one of my regular routes and as an experiment so to speak, when on several occasions had a ‘tasty’ car on my bumber (it’s what some of them do)

I’ve floored it to see if they can keep up or indeed as their driving would suggest, overtake, so far none have. This experimentation has now stopped for obvious reasons, but all the same the new performance is impressive.

If anyone is contemplating having it done I would thoroughly recommend it.

Many thanks to Neil and his gang at BBR.

Thx for the update / review.
I have my 5 booked in at BBR for work doing at the end of Oct - really looking forward to it :slight_smile:

Excellent, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. You’ll find you will be driving a little bit differently after you’ve had it done (if you’re like me) and take every opportunity to punch it just to feel the acceleration. Happy days. 

We have owned 2 595’s and 2 mx5’s all great cars

I may still get a 595 some time in the future. Saw a RIVALE model the other day…look rather nice.

Did you have the suspension upgrade done too by any chance?

Just bought a 2010 sport tech (my first MX-5) and very much considering not only the super 200 but also the suspension upgrade BBR offer.

Thanks

So do you get any benefit from the kit at revs lower than 3500 or does it only kick in at that level ?

No didn’t have the suspension done, beyond my price bracket unfortunately. Perhaps in the future.

To be honest, it feels better at all rev points. But is much more noticeable mid range and higher. Plus it also depends on how you use the gear stick. It sort of encourages you to drop a gear and floor it.