I love my MX5 NC, BUT

i really love and enjoy my mx5 NC hardtop but,
i’m so fed up of getting wet everytime it rains!
i like to drive with the window down, even in the rain, especially in the rain as it stops the windows steaming up!
but sometimes i get out of the car and the entire right side of body will be wet!
from other cars throwing up walls of water that come in the window due to the fact im so low down, to water dripping down off the roof on to my leg because the top of the window is very in board of the bottom of the window!
oh, i hope the rain stop’s soon!

Not sure whether this was a joke or not. :thinking::flushed:
If you have it, put the “Aircon” on that will stop it steaming up.
You could always wear your waterproofs in the car if that floats your boat, (no pun intended of course). :wink::+1:

its not a joke, tho it is a light hearted moan!

prompted by me getting soaked (like i had jumped in a river) down one side of my body in that torrential rain we had eairlier this week.
i had a pizza delivery to a village and i couldnt take the main road due to flooding o i took a back road.
i had the window open (bags of hot food steam the windows up even with the air con on) i came a flooded bit of road and slowed down to make my way though safely, sadly some idiot came the other way, driving like he was in a GP and hit the water doing around 60mph (best guess) and i got a wall of water come through the window.
i got soaked, there was even a small puddle in the drivers seat when i got out of the car!
TBH i was lucky tho, to have only got wet. how the guy didnt hydroplace right into me is a miracle.

its the second time this winter ive gotten soaked like that.

tbh it might have been better to make a thread about people not knowing how to drive in very wet conditions. with a mention of how inconsiderate some drivers can be.
for instance i was driving up dysart road in grantham eariler this week behind a car and there is perpetual small flood that runs down that road and 2 young ladies were walking next to it. i watched both the car infront and the one infront of him drive through it and soak the 2 ladies, i however made a point of going round!
needless to say i got 2 nice smiles and a wave for doing so!

anyway.
i hope the rain stops soon!

Open the passenger window instead?

If you are talking about the detachable hardtop, people have fitted drip guards just above the windows.

Shop the drivers.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/drivers-splashing-pedestrians-face-fines-of-up-to-5000/

Starting punishment for soaking pedestrians is £100 and 3 points.

Hmmm given that the police basically don’t even attend burglaries, unless you have very clear dashcam footage and they have no rapes or murders to deal with that week , you are unlikely to get much joy on this front sadly.

I admire your keenness, dedication and enjoyment for your work in your MX! :wink:

buy some oil skins…!

One of the reasons I insisted on AC when I got my NC. My NB was frankly terrifying with steamed up windows, tramlined roads, and lorries with wheels at head height throwing a blanket of spray that my little silver car would be next to invisible in. With AC at least I can see what is going on around me.

FOI requests reveal that these offences (pedestrians being splashed) are reported, and acted upon, although its massively under reported because many don’t know its an offence. You don’t need photographic evidence. Noting the registration down is sufficient for the police to trace the driver and at least send a warning letter, and to mark the card of those careless drivers. Getting a letter through the post from the police will shock most. If you are in a job that is SC checked, you need to report even minor offences that you have committed or alleged to have committed…

The letter will be worded along the lines they have reasonable grounds to believe you have committed the offence, your vehicle was noted as being located at the location and because you are the registered keeper, you are getting a warning under the RTA section whatever. Warning letters have consequences, as they are kept on file for a stated period (eq. 12 months) and are presumably considered if the driver is being convicted of any subsequent offence. The police don’t have to investigate, just have reasonable grounds to believe the offence was committed (ie a report from a pedestrian or motorist who shares the registration number and any other details). It will show on any DBS check.

Of course, the motorist might believe he or she is wrongly impugned and take it up. Then the police can make a case of it, using NPR to establish where the car was, taking on oath statements from witnesses. By not responding, you are accepting the Caution and admitting guilt.

Shocking. 1 in 3 drivers splash pedestrians, 1 in 18 of us do it deliberately. 1 in 8 feel no guilt.

Are you sure you’re opening the correct window? And if you must have the driver’s side window open sometimes, have you considered closing it when water is about to be thrown at it? How do you go on in the car wash?

I’m considering doing deliveries in my NB. Do you need to have special insurance?

To keep it simple.
Yes, you will need to add “Business” cover to your policy.
“Thibor” is the poster at the top, but I can see how you can get confused.

yes you will need business insureance.
it costs roughly an extra 60 quid

1 Like

Interesting points, although I have a dashcam, so if anyone did this out of spite, which is of course quite possible these days, I would give them a fight worthy of a decent head-on.

I love my MX5 NC, BUT…

I love it, with a passion, but everytime I get into it, I still think to myself, this bloody car is too small for me :-/

1 Like

I used to think that but then i lost 8 stone in weight.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.