I rolled the dice

Hello all, great to be a member of a car club again after many years. I met my wife through a car club in 2007, so it’s about time I joined one again!

And, I can finally post up my little £400 punt, now that it’s been up on a ramp and I know it’s not a rust bucket.

A friend asked me about a fortnight ago: “Do you know anyone that wants to buy an MX-5”? I said I’d keep her posted.
Then she said: “I only want £400 for it.”
My ears pricked up a bit.
“How many miles has it done?” I asked.
“54,000,” she said.

After falling off my chair, I almost literally bit her hand off.

So it’s an impulse buy, bought unseen, but apparently the underside is in good condition because it was waxoyled, so it’ll sail through an MOT and I’ll get it pressure washed, sort any welding, then underseal it again.

The bodywork is by no means perfect, there’s some obvious work that needs doing, here and there, but nothing major. I can’t believe my luck! I’m an accidental MX-5 owner!

I hope to see you all soon at the next event!

9 Likes

Hello and welcome. Very pleased to hear that your “gamble” has paid off (although this is tempered by the jealousy that I always feel when I hear about bargain buy cars!).

Good luck with getting it sorted quickly and on the road.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the club and look forward to see you at a North East Midlands event.

Hopefully see you driving around Derbyshire.

Dave and Cath

1 Like

Rolling the dice and coming up with a 5 ! Lovely car in a lovely colour.

2 Likes

Make sure you get the front chassis rails checked. They are a known weak point on the Mk2. Even if they both need replacing you will still have got a great car for a good price looking at the condition of the reat of it. Looks a beauty and in a great colour too. Well done.

1 Like

The front chassis rails make a mention in the online MOT history as well as do other ‘structures’.
Get it in for an MOT asap and find out what they find and take it from there. I’m getting excited and it isn’t even mine.
:heart:

1 Like

Welcome Gareth :handshake:

From fellow ‘Orange’ NB 2.5 1.8 Icon [2005] owner in the West Mids

Crumbs…Santa came early for you & Mrs GB :four_leaf_clover:

Enjoy your return to a Club Membership :game_die:

1 Like

I gather it had some rust worked on in 2014, which is consistent with the MOT history, and probaly when it was last undersealed.
It’s already had a pre-MOT inspection and, pending some basic jobs (battery tray, power steering hose and a few other bits) it’s apparently likely to go through without any advisories.

2 Likes

Result!

Sometimes it just pays to be lucky.

Enjoy.

The MOT Inspector was very excitable, making full use of the exclamation mark

I did see that! I guess it’s applicable when an advisory just isn’t enough to encourage someone to mend it.

Its not a requirement when writing an advisory.

Some genuine advisories:

This:

Got this:

This made me chuckle some years back… Not my advisory, posted on the net (so could be fabricated).

1 Like

I turned the tables.

The £400 punt turned out, following a thorough investigation, to be in need of more work than I was prepared to put in. So it’s been sold to a restorer who has more time and experience than me.

And, in part exchange, he sold me a lovely 2005 Icon with all the rust work and prevention sorted and only 41,000 miles on the clock.
It’s lovely, and I’m looking forward to meeting you all in it.

3 Likes

Result :+1:

Well done.

Enjoy.

1 Like