If you gave up your MX-5 what would you have? £30K

Oh yes. And in open country for the views and zero traffic.

Of course I’d need to pay a livery or a stable-girl to take care of the essentials (of the horse). The main reason I gave up riding was all the hard work involved in keeping a horse happy, fed, and healthy…

And most girls didn’t seem to appreciate it took teenage me a couple of baths to no longer smell of horse…

2 Likes

My MX-5 is the family’s third car which does feel a bit silly. Sometimes I say we have two cars and a toy. Either way, it makes sense to merge the ‘runabout’ (second car) with the ‘toy’ (third car) into a single second car that does the job of both. Something like a Mini convertible which is a little bit more practical and easy (DSG is now standard on them) makes a degree of sense. I agree that something would be ‘lost’ in consolidating in this way. The MX-5 is a proper sports car, the Mini convertible isn’t really, though it’s fun to drive I’m told. I’ll look into this more closely when the second car’s lease expires in spring 2025.

If money was no object (and in my experience money is always an object!) then the MX5 would be upgraded to a Z4 or better still, a Boxster. But that would be so far down my list…

Anyway, that’s my 0.02 on the matter.

Camper van

1 Like

Nissan GTR…

Merc C63… .original 6.2ltr not the revised 4ltr model.

Guilty as Charged Me Lord re forgetting costs of Original Horse Power :cry:

But ‘Eau de Horse’ v ‘Eau de MX-5’

Both Better Than Any Manufactured Perfume I’ve Smelt :grinning:

Nissan 200sx S13 … with a few spare turbos ( I had a bad habit of blowing them :stuck_out_tongue:)

Morgan 3-wheeler
Guaranteed conversation-piece wherever you pull up :+1:

Edit - just reread Ian’s brief. Morgan not typically an everyday car, but I’d HAVE to find a way :wink:

3 Likes

For an every day car I’d keep roughly the same bhp as my 2.0 and go for a 50-y-o V8 Rover P5b - and then show it off at car shows on summer weekends.

I’d have to buy a cravat and string backed gloves though.

2 Likes

Probably mentioned before but my Tesla contract ended and I wanted to get an ND as a daily driver but already having an NC was told by more than one person having 2, two seater cars would be stupid, so next nearest to an MX5 was a GR86. I dithered, they sold out so got a 4 year old GT86 with 8000 miles on in November, then found a 1900 mile GR for sale in March, so sold the GT and got the GR. Now I have a car that we can take the dog in and the NC, best of both worlds for me. Pension fund has taken a bit of a hit though. Needed to move quickly as at the time there were only 6 GR’s for sale on autotrader, 2 in Scotland so sold the Gt to webuyanycar. and was really impressed with them. 5 months and about 2000 miles added and only lost 500 quid.

Anything with a Lotus badge :slight_smile:

I would only give up driving Madge if my knee no longer enabled me to operate her clutch, and even then I’d keep her in the garage after being sympathetically restored to mint condition…

I’d stay clear of any other sports car as I doubt they would be any easier to get in and out of, which with a dodgy clutch knee would of course be a prime consideration.

Call me Kowalski but an everyday car I am thinking of getting alongside Madge that I am quite sure will be capable of delivering similar smiles per mile, may even be a smidge more practicle, offering the possibility of camping in it by folding down the back seats, and still be equally bonkers is a Dodge Challenger.

I’d probably stay clear of the full fat, live life a 1/4 mile at a time, supercharged versions, but a 485hp 392 with all the competition braking and handling options and eight speed automatic sounds like it would offer plenty of thrills touring, on trackdays, hillclimbing and sprinting in the same way I use Madge.

As a bonus joy of joys, regularly driving a company SsangYong Musso I have discovered the delights of heated steering wheels, the latter Challengers all have this feature as standard, what is not to like :thinking:

Might have to rebuild the garage to acccomodate both cars, but that could be just the excuse I am looking for to finally get rid of the one with an abestos roof that currently houses Madge…

Much more money in my pocket !!! :crazy_face:

I sold my NC25AE for a GR86. Nice car but we cant quite gel with it. Going to look at a ND 30AE at the weekend!!

And a damp, cold garage… :sob:

Interesting replies so far and not straying too far into the realm of rarely attainable exotica. What if the budget was a nominal £30K which seems to an average price for mid-range motoring today.

The answer may be none as for many the 5 is mostly a second or third car.

Have done it :frowning:

Much as I loved my NA 1.8 I’m just too stiff in the joints for the climb out of it and not got the bottle to do it justice anymore, or any MX5.

Replaced by a Mini Cooper. Even worse an automatic :wink:
Seems spritely enough in ‘Sport’ mode.

‘Asbestos roof currently housing Madge’ :handshake:

Ditto Bullit

Ditto…‘Clutch Knee’ :hugs:

Not really au fait with much in the new car world despite some British credentials, the Cooper name thrown in and finding some retro interpretations like the Challenger, appealing the modern Mini has completely gone over my head, my inner Victor Meldrew wonders why they did not do the decent thing and call it a Maxi.

My folks have had Golfs in their lives for 30 years , I suspect a modern GTi would be over 30k and I am not sure I would comfortably fit in a modern Polo GTi.

One car I would gladly own again is a Volvo 240, in the 80’s I had a slightly upgraded manual pea green '76 DL with the giant alloy bumpers, today I could probably get a decent late 80’s 240 GLT 4 door automatic, with sunroof, well under 30k budget, which would be great fun for touring and interesting for trackdays, hillclimbs and sprints.