If you gave up your MX-5 what would you have? £30K

A similar thread was done before and responses tended to lean towards variations on sports cars, Jag, Porsche etc which are natural responses.

I’m thinking in the context of still enjoyable to drive, an everyday car and not electric, does such a thing exist any more?

Toyota GR 86?

(Or the older GT 86)

BMW M340D Touring or saloon?

1 Like

A nice car though available in quite limited numbers. I’m thinking more in the mass production space, I remember we had one of the first Ford Focus’s (Focii?) and that was a hoot, does anything else fit in a similar space these days?

1 Like

We run a bmw 128ti as well as our mx5 which is a great car. I would really fancy a Hyundai i20n when the mx5 goes.

1 Like

Original Mini Cooper S.

2 Likes

I had the chance to drive the previous model of Suzuki Swift over the Lincolnshire wolds and it was great fun. Not blisteringly quick but extremely engaging and willing. Every gear slotted in perfectly and was beautifully gauged to be straight back on song. The chassis balance felt sharp and the car was wonderfully easy to place wherever I wanted. The brakes gave excellent feel and feedback so the whole drive was a hoot.

3 Likes

I see a version of this has been the choice of @Scottishfiver as the 5 exit car so would be definitely one to consider.

The i20n commented by @Craigjackson1984 also seems to fit into this category.

Visually the Ford Puma doesn’t look awful though don’t know how the driving dynamics hold up.

1 Like

i20 N is a great choice, we nearly bought one of those but opted for the i20 NLine instead - very happy with it.

How about the Suzuki Swift Sport 2018/19 era (per hybrid) - fab little car too.

1 Like

For me, it would be an Elise.

But my MX5 isn’t my main car, just a toy.

3 Likes

MR2 or classic Beetle maybe.

1 Like

For me, Honda S2000.

4 Likes

A John Cooper Works GP Mini with 302bhp as standard.
Still only a 2 seater, as they have stripped out the rears ones and put a brace in there.

Suzuki Jimny (last model - the current model has almost doubled in price since they stopped importing them). If anything, more fun to drive than an MX-5. RWD*, you have to rev it, and they are easy to work on.

*it’s full 4WD, of course, but you can only engage that on loose or slippery surfaces, like an old Land Rover. It works incredibly well, even on stock H/T tyres.

In my experience the 125 powered Fiestas can be hustled along nicely.
The actual ST cars are very focussed. Firm suspension and heavy steering and not as much fun in my eyes as their less powerful brethren. Too fast to enjoy fully on Lincolnshires narrow country lanes.
Ultimately the Fords don’t quite have the same driver involvement as that Suzuki I mentioned but they do cover ground quickly.
Personally I’m not a fan of Hyundai. I haven’t driven any N cars so can’t comment on them but the basic cars have a peculiar smell inside, especially in hot weather. And no, it’s not the driver :smile:
It’s a chemistry thing and I simply don’t feel the chemistry. Couple that with all of the nannying chimes and bongs make for an unpleasant environment in my humble opinion. I’m in the minority of course since there are a gazillion on British roads.

1 Like

An Elise (if back permits entry and egress), Boxster , and I would say Z4 if I liked BMWs. If it wasn’t a soft top, the choices are much wider - any hot hatch Ford , Golf GTi etc .

But what I really , really want is a GMA T33 Spider, and if the cupboard is relatively bare , a Wells Vertige

1 Like

There are loads of cars I like, from beautiful cars like a Porsche 911 Carrera, a Mazda RX7, gorgeous Jag D type to box things like a Lancia delta Integrale. However these are all old cars, significantly faster (and more expensive) than an mx5 - hence not a daily.

To remind you there are loads of things the mx5 does well:
Its a small 2 seater convertible sports car.
Its extremely fun and enjoyable to drive and you are doing that at sensible speeds
Its reliable (until you mess with it or cut corners)
It looks good
its relatively cheap to maintain and it doesn’t cost the earth to own one.

If somehow I didn’t have my NC I’d buy one the same and make it to the same standard or maybe buy again an NA (although the NC is a better car) or an ND just for the looks.

If I couldn’t have one because I’m too old and cant get in one. Dunno. I’d try my best to be fit enough and be able to prolong keep using one. So to answer your question at the moment the other alternatives I can think of are a mobility scooter or a casket…

I know its not helpful but, there is a reason the mx5 is the best selling 2 seater sports car and the icon it is.

1 Like

If I could find one in good condition, and also an independent repair shop I could trust not to rip me off, I would get a Porsche 944. I previously had a 924S (924 with 944 engine) which served me well for 250,000 miles. It was very comfortable and more roomy than the Miata.

David

1 Like

I’d sell and purchase an Haibike Trekking 4 - Electric Hybrid Bike

A beat-up Landrover Defender.

“If you gave up your MX-5…What would you have”

When Bullit goes to Rust Heaven as she will do :cry:

Then she can’t be replaced within my budget :smiling_face_with_tear:

So, there is no replacement because vehicles I like I can’t afford so no point in daydreaming :roll_eyes:

But do I actually want to Own these vehicles…or Just Experience Driving Them :thinking:

Personally…I Just Want to Experience Driving Them :racing_car:

Imagining I’ve won The Lottery [unlikely as I don’t play]

Wouldn’t spend the money on Buying the Vehicles I Like…Just Rent Them for Fun for a While

[Obviously after spending loadsamoney on restoring Bullit]

Well…given that I can get most things delivered to my front door and Bullit is RIP

Then I’d replace her with the Original Horse Power :horse: :racehorse:

[And support getting me on to him/her :older_woman: :ladder:]

:rofl: