Ignition illumination problem

I have a 2015 Venture power hardtop and am seeking help with the following problem.

The ignition illumination is no longer coming on. The bulb is OK.
I can’t find which fuse it comes off. Also, what triggers its coming on?

I’d guess that it’s triggered by the door switch, it may be switched by the instrument cluster though. I’d need to check a wiring diagram to confirm. Does the interior light come on when you open the drivers door with the interior light switch position set to DOOR?

Many thanks for your prompt reply. The interior light does come on. I should mention that I blew the ROOM fuse whilst fitting an LED bulb in the interior light fitment. I was also attaching feed wires to the fitment in order to power LED footwell lights.
There are some fuses which are a bit vague in what they cover so if you were able to trace the wiring back from the ignition light to its fuse that would be most helpful.

What’s your VIN?

VIN JMZNCA 88200361091
Reg 01/03/2015
Original no NX15NHU
Now 2842 D

1 Like

The bulb is 12 volt fed from the ROOM fuse, 15 amp in the under bonnet fuse box. If your interior light works chances are that fuse is OK. Control is via the instrument cluster. There should be 12 volt constant supply at the Blue/Red wire to the bulb.

1 Like

Thanks for info. When you write ‘ control is via the instrument panel’ I’m unsure what you mean.
The instrument panel lights are operating. I did replace the ROOM fuse when I shorted out the interior light.
The latter can be switched on manually or by the door but moving the switch to the OFF position doesn’t turn off the light.
As I’d soldered the footwell wires to the light unit I’m wondering if I’ve fried part of it?
MX parts are sending me a new unit so I’ll report the results!

I mean the 12 volts is supplied from the ROOM fuse and the instrument cluster switches the ground to turn the lamp on and off as required. Basically it’s electronically controlled.

I’d remove your wiring and start from scratch. Sounds like you’ve introduced a dead short somewhere.

Update! Tried new light unit as part of the old one looked worn but no success with illuminating the ignition key area.
To get the overhead light to work via the door earth switch I have to provide a separate earth from the light unit to the door switch yet it works via the passenger door switch!
ROOM 15 15amp fuse is definitely OK.
I’m completely baffled !

1 Like

I’ve come across this issue before from a regular poster on this forum I think. After investigation I think that it was suspected to be a faulty instrument cluster. Not sure that they ever changed it to confirm though.

That seems logical. I’m going to live without illumination round the ignition area. I guess an instrument panel would cost a fortune.

See this topic…

Must have continued discussion by PM by the look of it but I seem to remember it being a potential instrument cluster issue.

I have now got round the problem of the driver’s door switch not operating the overhead light.
I’ve wired an extra earth wire from the left side of the switch to the door switch.
The header trim,A pillar, sill trim and trim behind the driver’s seat need to be removed.