Im struggling where to go this weekend

I’m watching my mower fuel level too … :see_no_evil:

My neighbour got some fuel for his Ransomes mower yesterday, no problem.

Thanks @Countryboy it’s just that my household has to stay at home (shielding) for about another 8 weeks yet and I’ve only a couple litres left in my remaining can.
I’ll just have to ask a fellow villager for further supplies :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Well Donald Trump is on the case, so hopefully the Plague will be sorted soon, so we can get back to normal by 2021

2 Likes

Took the good lady for a walk this morning, bright and early then back home for a tea and bacon & egg sandwich.

1 Like

Beautiful looking viaduct and canal / tow path. Probably wouldn’t have checked them out in normal times. We all tend to take for granted the beauty that surrounds us.

:grinning:

Government guidance states we cannot see our families due to lockdown, not even to visit (non-essential journey apparently), and chat from opposite sides of the garden well in excess of 2 metres away. But… we are apparently allowed to visit B&Q, or similar places such as KFC, and join massively long queues. So maybe the answer is to get all the family to travel from where they live, and join all these queue(s) together. In that we can see each other and have a chat then?

OK, I am perhaps displaying a touch of sarcasm, but it just shows how issues can be interpreted in a silly way. For the record, I would feel far safer chatting across the distance of a good-sized garden, speaking to family I know have isolated, rather than stood in a B&Q queue, amongst people I do not know, let alone where they might have been with others?

1 Like

Visiting your family members is against the rules but taking them food or other essentials certainly isn’t. Standard procedure is the same as that employed by couriers at the moment. Place the bag of food outside the door, ring the bell and step back at least 2m. If you step back 4m and they then step outside you are still social distancing.

Now I’ll get a little cynical. If the package is long life milk, tins of beans and a pack of toilet rolls the process could be repeated back and forth for several months.

10 minutes walk from our house, lost count how many times we’ve walked that route over the 43 years. Wife used to jog that way, take our youngsters for a walk, we now take our grandkids.
Some locals have never ventured anywhere near there.

1 Like

The local golf club is closed, holes plugged, gates locked, etc. However this still didn’t prevent numerous walkers, dogs, cyclists and joggers, and us using the marked ‘public footpaths’ and admiring the immaculate condition and enjoying the smell of newly mown grass.

This fishing lake is immediately behind one of the tees. I am standing a couple of feet away from the raised portion of the tee. Several fishermen were already half asleep (10.05) about thirty metres to my right.

And we saw one foursome (and hangers-on) playing a rule-breaking round with a small rubber mat for the “hole.” This is the normal x1 shot of those golfers, not cropped and just pixel reduced to make a smaller file, like the others above.

I tried a x4 zoom-in on the phone camera - until now I didn’t know it had an optical zoom - and cropped to the pixels on the PC. I am surprised by how good was the quality considering the tiny lens and how far away they were. So this is effectively eight times tighter than the normal wide shot.

I’ve mostly been spending time rebuilding my 3d printer to be slightly less dodgy.

This lockdown is making me finish off jobs that have been sitting half finished for years.

We have some lovely walks on the doorstep. Today’s official exercise was front door to the top of Rivington Pike and back. 16000 steps, 500 ft altitude climbed. Then a big juicy home-cooked steak!

I’m struggling to go anywhere today, even getting out of bed was difficult.

It’s my own fault. Yesterday I took out a tree stump, filled, flattened and sealed that area, and moved my store of antique building supplies from the back of the house to this nice new out-of-sight secret spot.

Antique building supplies? These essential spare bricks, tiles, slabs etc match what we have, and all are made from that well known material unobtainium.

Rearrangement of the house over the years has freed-up an assortment of perfectly good bricks and tiles all made in 1927 or 1979 or 1987, to the then standard sizes, colours and styles etc. And one always orders at least +5% to account for mistakes breakages and contingency.

Some (SWMBO) might call them left-over junk cluttering up the place, but they have proved highly useful and extremely economical in repairing assorted damage from accident, frost and simple old age as well as roof modifications such as removing chimney stacks, with the replacements blending-in perfectly such that nobody would ever know a repair had been necessary or a change made.

4 Likes

Finally we took out the NC for a quiet drive away from everywhere (huh!), and I could not believe how busy it was, more so than a normal Sunday.
And the idiots were out in force, including one in a classic Healey who ignored the blue lights and siren of the very rapidly oncoming Police car and turned across in front of him forcing a drop of anchors. The girl in the 1957 Porsche 1600 had the good sense to wait. A clip from my dash cam.

Two of those blossoms in the picture made apples, and we let that little James Grieve espalier have three more this year. Here is the first crop not quite four months later.

Today I picked nineteen apples from the Falstaff on its left, and one was already eaten before I brought the camera downstairs again!

3 Likes