Immobiliser/ECU Car won’t start

I think the belt was put on so poorly it was so loose it got stripped when trying to start one day. The engine started almost straight away with the new belt. Just got to find why the idle is poor. I belive it will be down to an air flow sensor.

From my reading on here the valves on these engines will be just fine. I think they call it ‘none interference’.
Looking forward to the next instalment.
:heart:

1 Like

Hey, yes you’re correct even if the timing belt snapped the valves etc would be fine as there is a fail safe so they are unable to hit anything!

Gosh, I’m surprised a twin cam relatively high performance engine would be non interference but it would explain a great deal.
Stroke of luck…

1 Like

Very lucky indeed!

Also just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for their help - I only joined on Tuesday and have had a great deal of suggestions! :slight_smile:

Just to add to what was said about non-interference engines, all Mazda BP series engines (i.e. all Mk.1 and 2 MX-5s) are non interference designs, so a snapped timing belt should not cause valve damage (unless you’ve had the head substantially skimmed in which case it’s your own lookout).

Yes it is fairly unusual to find this in a DOHC high-ish compression engine but it’s one reassuring thing about MX-5s.

Reassuring indeed.

Presumably my NC2 2.0 engine is interference but has a chain, so win/win.

The only time I had a belt snap was when riding an Armstrong MT500 ex-army dispatch bike.
It had a Rotax engine which thankfully also had a non-interference engine. I was a few miles from home but only a couple of hundred yards from a mate’s house. I was able to push it there, stash it in his garage and scrounge a lift home. I ordered a new belt and was able to fit it with just a single allen key. Talk about lucky…