Improve air intake

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __DIRENZA Induction kit

Has anyone any experience of this DIRENZA PERFORMANCE COLD INTAKE INDUCTION KIT FOR MAZDA MX5 MX-5 NC MK3 05-15 | eBay

I’ve done the standard/basic power upgrades for 2L engine of free-low air filter, de-cat exhaust manifold and ECU re-map to around 180 BHP but will need to renew the filter soon (35k miles) and really interested in a bit more induction noise just for the audio pleasure of it. Can’t afford or justify the full ITB option and don’t really use more than 5,000 RPM but I do so like the sound of a good old fashioned suck as precursor to squeeze-bang-blow. Silly but simple (that’s me)

1 Like

I like induction noise too.
I therefore drilled large holes between the webs of the forward half of the airbox, using a hole cutter set.
Drastic but you can always source a second-hand replacement if you don’t like it or come to sell.
It now sounds more like a sportscar, especially when exploring the upper rev range, when it really howls.
I have cut some pieces of 5mm or so black foam, which fit between the webs if I should want to adjust the sound level, say on a longish journey. I never use them though.

Hi, did you fit the air filter? Just looking at it myself and wondered how it performed!

I have never installed one to an mx5 but have had many cold air intakes and induction kits. If you’d be content with potentially losing a little power and torque for the sake of the improved sound then why not. Unless you tune the ecu to take advantage of the extra airflow it probably won’t yield a performance gain at all (or a potential loss) unless it has been dyno tested for the car with proven results. From my own research I believe the ramair torquintake developed by skuzzle is the only one that claims to improve power as it was specifically developed for the nc.

All these forensic albeit probably correct arguments miss the essential point. Owning and driving an MX5 is a sensory experience in which sight as well as sound matter. So for me this is simply engine bling and I love it. Nuff said

2 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with that, looks very :sunglasses:. I’ve put air intakes on lots of cars but unless I was getting an aftermarket tune I didn’t expect any gains apart from the sound. That’s not a reason not to get one, just to have realistic expectations.

Got all that thanks; tuned after Racing Beat header fitted so now circa 185 bhp

My MK2.5 came with a spare air box so I Swiss cheese-holed it and took it for a blast. The induction noise alone was enough to splash out on a K&N Typhoon.
No discernible gains other than aural ones.
Oh actually, there was one, when I sold the car on to a young lad a few years later, the K&N seemed to be the USP!