Insurance for 17 year old?

hi all just needed some help on getting a quote at a decent price for my mx5 if you know any good companies feel free to reply with them.

Too many variables…

• policy in own name or as a named driver?
  • black box fitted ?
  • will your teenager accept a curfew on late night driving
  • your post code and history
  • standard or modified car?
  • limited mileage use?
  • use of another car?
  • SDP use or including commuting or any business mileage

Then the unknown…

• the state of any underwriters books ( ie are they looking for new business
  • this weeks commission / fee arrangements between underwriter and broker

Good luck👍

Admiral were better prices than most I tried about 6 years ago. That was for my daughter, she was a new driver (just passed her test) but over 25 years old. Most were well over £1k quotes. It was for a 1ltr Picanto.

Advice, find a few and as mentioned above and ring them rather than compare sites, you may get better deals, who knows these days?

You’ll need deep pockets, my son had to wait until he was 20 before he got what I accepted as a reasonable price and that was just under £1K. Funnily enough that was Admiral. This was for a '90 NA and was 7 years ago so I suspect it will be more expensive now. If the car is older than 25 years now some companies will no longer offer insurance.

I don’t know why people complain about premiums for youngsters of £1-1.5k

At age 18 I was paying £500, which was more than 10% of my gross salary

My first fully comp policy as an 18 year old came in at somewhere around the £1,500/year mark. That was a 1.4hdi Peugeot 206. Big cost commitment getting out on the road at that age.

Not a popular reply sorry but completely the wrong car at that age.
Start with something cheap, slow and boring to build up the no-claim bonus first.
Also, if you simply must have an MX5 take an advanced driving course to learn the differences between the way an old rear wheel drive and a modern front wheel drive car behave.