Insurance for 18 year olds

Hi there. I’m 18 with a years no claims turning 19 in September. I have got a 1994 mk1 1.8 import and I was wondering if anyone could help with a company that may insure me over the summer. I won’t be driving it in winter (salt and bad conditions) but would love to drive it around in the nice weather. Only be doing max of 1500 miles. Unfortunately because of my age a lot of companies won’t insure me for a couple of months. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

Have you tried someone like Footman James, and a limited miles annual policy? The car is then insured 12 months of the year, but with a mileage limit. Even though you won’t be driving it in winter, its probably a good idea to keep it insured. You won’t earn NCB on such a policy though. They do a scheme for MX5OC members, and covering older cars like yours.

Also with an FJ (or any other classic car policy) you can insure with an agreed value so you wouldn’t just get the scrap value if something did happen (salvage retention would be a consideration too when selecting these types of optional extra).

Also the companies that discount you for being a club member tend to allow for young members which they’d otherwise refuse to insure.

Tbh I’m not sure NCB means much, based on the fact I’ve never had a policy with one :slight_smile:

Of course your age counts against you cost wise, I still remember the amazing drop in my premiums when I turned 30.

(also you could just cancel your policy after 6 months if you really wanted to, but you never know what will happen, I’ve had a car hit when it was parked in the driveway as an example).

Try Lancaster for Club discount. You will need to phone them for this rather than doing an online quote. Details are on the inside page of STHT.

hi mat, welcome to the community.
i had a very modified Manta back in my youth (19 onwards) and Adrian flux were really great.
Adrian flux is a modded car insurer but I guess it’s worth trying them!

1 Like

Have a look at Sterling. They cover grey imports which yours would be. Cheapest by far for me at 20.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.