Insurance for convertible

I had my insurance for my 25AE with LV last year. Their renewal quote was competitive and I was going to go ahhead. When I got the policy documents, it said that the car is not insured if I leave the roof open.

I phoned them two days ago to clarify that I was covered if I left the roof of a converttible down and was told ‘yes’. Today I phoned to ask to get that in writing and after a 15 minute hold, I was told that I would NOT be covered. It is self evident from the details they retrieve from the reg no. that it is a convertible.

Has anyone else had issues with this? Is there a good company for convertibles please?

1 Like

The terms are the same on my insurance. That’s why I always raise the roof if the vehicle is out of my sight.

2 Likes

This has been a condition in all the insurances I have had for our MX5s, I think it is standard wording.
We always put the hood up when parked as a matter of habit. A car full of ‘seagull’ poo or someone tossing their detritus in while walking past is not nice.
:heart:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t feel happy leaving my car out of my sight with the hood down, for the reasons given above. I usually just engage the driver’s side catch unless I’m parking up for the night. The hood on my Mk2 is such a brilliantly easy thing to operate - it takes literally 5 seconds.

I used to leave roof down as much as I could, until I got caught out with a fierce unexpected downpour one time. Never again - that’s before I’d ever considered insurance risk.

Upsides of cabrio ownership outweigh these kinds of frustrations in my mind. Too many other aspects to enjoy :wink:

1 Like

Hi.
You will find that the majority of insurers will have the same exclusion if the roof is left open.
Regards,
Dan.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.