Insurance merry go round

Well it’s that time of year again…Saga renewal quote £349. 10 minutes on the phone LV quoted me £235 . Protected NCD. No voluntary excess, 40yrs clean licence, car parked on road (2008 Niseko)

Moved my wife’s car from Saga earlier in the year after they increased premium by a ridiculous amount…LV £150 cheaper!  House insurance and contents moved from Saga to Nationwide!

Why do firms only look to give a better deal when you say you are moving?

My answer is “I expect a FAIR deal upfront… GOODBYE…

Regards The hairy angler

Luxury

I’m paying £900 for my MK2

First quote today from AA was £421 - I said “no thanks - far too expensive”, tried Adrian Flux via MX-5 club and they quoted £175, fully comp. with no previous No Claims. - bit their hand off for that deal.

Car insurance baffles me .Like a good Dad I sort my daughters car insurance out for them [ they will be choosing my care home !! ] and youngest daughter takes delivery of a new Volvo XC40 R Design D3 tomorrow . Went onto the comparison sites and Compare the Market came up with Admiral the cheapest at £527-52p. She uses the car in connection with her work so has business cover . Went onto Confused .com and again Admiral the cheapest at £394-24p. Confused are owned by Admiral which no doubt accounts for the massive difference . I could write a book about my car insurance experiences but both daughter having had claims in the past with Admiral / Elephant and having had positive experiences both times I am quite happy to insure with them . 

This is so true! I have had 4 wildly different prices recently on an MX5 MK1 I want to get… It started as high as £1800 and went as low as £420!

Admiral sent me their renewal quote today, up at 325 from 265 last year, which I had thought then was a little bit steep but not worth the hassle of a phone call.  So I rechecked with Moneysupermarket that my quotes from a few weeks ago were still valid, and armed with the figures I spent 13 minutes with the helpful young man at Admiral and he was able to bring it down to 259.  Not good enough, and I mentioned I had more than a dozen quotes from respectable ‘known’ companies - all less than his end price.

I ended up paying RAC Insurance 186 (including a 5 for NCD protection), and they promised me a better price on the breakdown/recovery when I renew that later this year. 

I could have paid about 120, but the company was unknown to me and not worth the risk.  My top quote was silly at over 800, obviously not interested in my business.