Insurance on a Na mx5 eunos roadster 19 years old

Hi I hope someone would be able to give me some advice on insurance.
Im 19 years old and currently have 1 years no claims and soon to be 2 in October on another car. I have done quite a bit of research and phone calls and most insurance either can’t quote me or quoted me extortionate prices (£5000+ Annually).
Adrian flux said they can’t quote me until I have 2 years NCB even though I have friends that insured one on their first year with them and was wondering if it’s to do with it being a Japanese import.
I just want to insure the car for 3 months till I get my 2 years NCB as I’m itching to get on the road in it.
Many thanks,
Matt

Try Admiral…

I guess if you do manage to get insurance cheaper it’ll still only be 1 year NCB.
Age plays an important part, 19 yrs old isn’t great for getting insurance at a favourable price.
Best you can try is have a parent as a named driver on your policy, see how you go.

I agree with MickAP, add a parent to your policy. I’ve given this advice to friends and it normally makes a difference. Female named drivers seem to attract the bigger reduction so Mum’s the word!

One of the simplest ways to get the premium down is increase the voluntary excess on fully comp, this will often work out cheaper than a third party fire theft policy. There will come a point where further voluntary increases do nothing. If a large excess is concerning, you can quite cheaply insure your excess.

The other thing to do is add one or two people between 35 and 60 with no incidents or convictions in the last 5 years, with a UK manual licence for at least 5 years - I added my aunt for this purpose and it’d save me £40-£80 when I was a youth. Anyone with convictions or accidents (regardless of blame) may put it up.

Obviously do use comparison sites, at the moment Confused and MoneySuperMarket are cheapest for young drivers. When your messing about adding and removing additional drivers, changing policy excesses and job titles, do so under false but very similar details… if you do it with your real details you can be falsely accused of “quote massaging” (Admiral helped themselves to an extra £80 without asking me, because I did one hypothetical quote where I’d had a claim to see what it would do to the price and if it was worth protecting my NCD… it wasn’t, but they took it as the claim had actually happened and I hadn’t declared on it my accepted quote. Tossers) - once you have the quote how it needs to be, get it redone with your proper details before paying!

I get your keen but it’s going to be an expensive endeavour for 3 months, waiting for 2 years NCD will help a lot. If you change insurer to get the premium down, you’ll lose the 9 months NCD you’ve earnt so far on your existing policy

Feel Your Frustration to Be on the Road ASAP :face_with_spiral_eyes:
Be Patient :smiling_face_with_tear:
My Sister Always Arranged Insurance for Her Teenage Children [Cheaper] :thinking:
Sadly due to ‘Equal Ops’ Being Female No Longer is Supposed to Equate to an Automatic Discount :smiling_face_with_tear:
Don’t Know the Latest Statistics :thinking:
Young Man Plus Sports Car is Likely the Off Putting Factor for Insurers as well as NCD :smiling_face_with_tear:
[I Speak from Experiencing of Insuring a Mark IV Triumph Spitfire aged 21 yrs - When Being Female Counted & I Was a Police Constable]
Advanced Driving Qualifications Can Help :thinking:

Good Luck Matthew for Plenty of Years of Increasing your NCD ahead of you
Plus Enjoying Your Eunos :grin:

Welcome to the Club :handshake: :hugs:

try NFU - no experience with them insuring doing drivers (yet) but they’ve been excellent on a wide range of vehicles so far.

Confused by your reply ?

1 Like

nfs are an insurer and often very good, but overlooked.

Things may have changed with this particular company (competition for one) a few years ago I took out home and caravan insurance with them. Slowly increasing prices forced me away from them. More recent quotes aren’t any better, no caravan just home insurance.
Of course the policy and service may be better than others (who knows) sometimes pricing is a factor when making decisions especially these days.

fair enough. One speaks as one finds: we have home insurance and half a dozen cars, much cheaper than anywhere else and they pay out with no hassle when needed.

The problem I have is go compare and money supermarket etc, only give me 3-4 quotes and they are all £5000+.
Any time I put my car reg in they cant quote me and when I use the car details I get to the end and they can’t quote me.

Admiral can’t quote me sadly

Sounds like you’ll have to wait. Try do a quote where you have the two year’s no claims and have held the licence a little longer, does it still come out at £5k? Unfortunately, your motor being a grey import won’t help matters.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.