Interesting RF concept

I saw these pictures circulating and just wondered what people thought.

Ive always loved the “Clown Shoe” BMW Z3 coupe and seeing a similar concept on an RF, I think its gorgeous. But like the Z3, it definetely wont be everybodys cup of tea. Just wondering what you guys thought.

13 Likes

Love it. A lot.
Would need 250 bhp plus to live up to it’s pretentious appearance.
2 litre factory turbo…
Never in a year of Sundays now of course…

Not a RF and a photoshop. Every generation of MX5 brings out a breadvan like this, imaginary or otherwise.

Blimey.
It’s just a bit of fun… :anguished:

2 Likes

It’s not my cuppa…

Obviously a chopped piccy, they used a reverse image of the front wheel/disc, very large rear brakes🤪

Looks very nice BUT not a convertible!

It would make a cracking second car. :+1:

Reminds me a bit of our old Reliant Scimitar from the back.
I’ll stick to my ND convertible!

1 Like

Does the roof go down? If not, it’s not an MX5.

1 Like

This immediately makes me think of the Reliant Scimitar.

I love a Z3 M Coupe and photographed this one over the weekend at ZEDfest:

1 Like

Check that the boot floor, rear subframe hadn’t rusted through/cracked.

Working class shooting brake

Another 2 door estate springs to mind

Making the MX5 into an estate car (lets not beat around the bush, no one will be loading up a MX5 with a pack of gun dogs) is not part of the DNA, and that DNA has been much diluted over the years. Ok, Germans will call them MX5 Combis

I can carry a spare engine in my MX5, so don’t understand why a photographer needs a MX5 estate car to carry a few cameras.

Shooting Brakes are frankly ridiculous cars. They’re not very good load carriers, they’ve not very good sports cars. Load them up for that long trip; a high boot floor means you won’t see much. Lack of a bulkhead means that piano being transported risks flying into the dash as you exploit the MX5’s handling.

This is why Range Rovers became popular.

Utterly preposterous. Beyond human comprehension.

Someone needs shooting at the back of their shooting brake.

Not a family guy though are you?
My Dad’s shooting brake…

Also had a 3.3 Cresta…shooting brake.

Over thinking a wee bit Saz? Horses for courses old chap.

1 Like

An RF ‘shooting brake’ - no, don’t think so. But then I always thought the BMW Z3 variant looked a bit of a monstrosity too, so perhaps it’s just me !

:sunglasses::sunglasses:I like it :+1:t3::+1:t3:

3 Likes

He’s filling up another water container to make sure that his engine’s constant loss of coolant does not lead to a blown head gasket :grimacing:

1 Like

You’re thinking of the wrong engine and possibly century. A-series was a pretty strong little lump. Sure, like other engines of its generation, it would blow a gasket, but no worse than any other.

Curiously kiddie sized jerry can. Possibly a jerrycan of poitin as he prepares to get mullered on a day canal boating, given the wife has made him put on a ridiculous hat and heavy jumper on in the middle of a 1976 heatwave. The choice of the Allegro estate proved to be wise, as that Mk3 Cortina would have been ridiculously long to manouvre when half cut on the canal side.

Lighten up Sir. Did I say it was worse than any other? Many types of cars of that period could, and did overheat and lose coolant at some point in their lives. It was a joke not a criticism :smile:

2 Likes

Another light hearted bit of fun ruined again. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes