Intermittent ignition warning lights failure to illuminate

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK 2 1.8s
  2. I’m based near: Poole__
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: ignition lights failure_

I have a push button start in place of cigarette lighter. Turn ignition switch via key twice to illuminate warning lights, then press start button. Engine fires up normally with no problem apart from the odd occasion. With no other problems, when I turn the ignition via the key to the point of the warning lights illuminating, on occasions all the warning lights fail to illuminate, yet pressing the push button the starter will turn but the engine fails to fire due to no live ignition. Continuously turning / removing the key will sometimes bring the lights back and a normal start will occur. Replaced ignition switch and cleaned it, still occurs occasionally. Disconnecting from push start and re connecting to key start all is fine. Reverting back to push start all will be ok for a period of time then away it goes again with it tending to do so when its not in the ideal place to carry out some work.
Any pointers and or advice will be most welcomed.

Interesting, did you replace the key switch with a new or used unit?
If the car spins over every time on the button i’d start looking at starter motor and alternator connections.
Also i would have somebody sit in the car with the key turned ‘on’ when it’s in fail mode, then wriggle, push and pull on every wire, cable and battery connection i could physically reach, it could be an intermittent dry connection.
The ignition loom will have a multiplug connector within the steering column shroud, check that for dry connections…this would be my first choice.
Don’t forget the fuses as they can have dry or corroded connections.
Good hunting and keep us informed.

Hi “safetymatch” thanks for the reply. I replaced the ignition switch twice on the back of the key barrel and on both times opened and cleaned prior to fitting. None showed any pitting or burning, metal parts all shiny as was the original. Once cleaned and replaced all was ok for a good two /three weeks then out of the blue problem again, no ignition lights. To get me going I took the ignition switch from the back of the barrel and used a dumpy flat screwdriver inserted into slot, turned and presto all works and engine start using the push start.!!! This is always the case. When no lights remove ignition switch or revert to key start, lights and start are immediate. Thought about the barrel but thats mechanical apart from the transducer picking up the key code. Connecting tab within the barrel for the ignition switching is intact and rotates as it should. Measured depth and corresponding depth within barrel and switch making sure it was or had not disconnected, all good. Have had an auto electrician out and electrics at the time verified, of course when this happens I cannot get one out quick enough to ascertain the problem, how do you fault diagnose when all is working.
The starter and alternator mentioned, all connections are tight along with checking out the ignition circuit from the alternator. Charges at 14.5/9
Fuses and the disconnect within the shroud are all good as per the electrician checking applicable circuits out.
A present I am running the car via original key start having isolating the push button . Within the connections for the push button of which there are three disconnects and a relay, it looks more than what is necessary. The relay bears the logo for the and name of the immobiliser? I thought I had it but thinking about it logically I should still get the lights up even with a fault with the immobiliser, the fault would show with a failure to start?
In my opinion I have gone through virtually all that I feel is applicable, so again all suggestions would be welcome. Thank you