Intermittent Wheel Wobble

Purchased my first ever MX5 last Saturday. Not an everyday driver, but something for weekends and to teach my son to drive in. Loving it!

Whilst driving the car home (150mile trip), the car developed a severe wheel wobble when coming down a slip road to join a Motorway. I had driven 20-30 miles at that point, including on a Dual Carriageway at Motorway speeds, so I thought it was a puncture or a lost weight. I came off at the next junction and checked the nuts, pressures and tyres at a petrol station. All good. I resumed my journey and the wobble had gone.
No issues for the next couple of days and then last night, it did it again. Wobbled for a period of time, then stopped.
I’ve checked for stones in the tread, but nothing.
Anyone have an idea?

It’s not a binding front brake caliper is it? They can overheat the longer you drive for causing vibrations. Strange that it managed the remainder of the 150 miles with no issues though so maybe not a caliper.

Exactly that I bet. Mine did the same thing and it’s the calipers seizing. Just got the new cylinders and seals today actually.

Mine was a combination of the slider pins sticking and corroded pistons. I measured a few thou run out on the disc on one side so replacing them as a matter of course.

Shaun

A few years back my wife was on full lock turning in to our drive way, when the car (megane) suddenly came to a dead halt.
It would reverse, but wouldn’t go forward.
I came out to have a look and found the N/S front wheel in totally the opposite direction to what it should have been.
Crawling under the car, I found the the nut holding the track rod end had totally vanished, the track rod end out of the control arm.

She then told me that a few days previous, she’d had a major wheel wobble occurance.
She stopped the car, looked at the tyres, got back in and carried on.
She says the wobble didn’t re-occur.

Putting two and two together, the wobble incident was probably the track rod end popping out of it’s socket, maybe it still had the nut attached at this point.

Considering it fell off, just as she was perfoming a slow manouvre, and right outside our own house, I think she was very lucky.

Might be worth a little look.

That’s a sobering thought. I’ll have a good look before taking it off the drive.

Thanks for scaring the life out of me! :grin:

I had this exact problem! it was a binding front caliper on the passenger side. I changed the caliper on the front and cleaned and freed up the drivers side caliper because I figured it was the same age as the passengers and would probably bind sooner or later and cleaned the pad carrier with a wire wheel along with replacing the pins that hold the caliper to the carrier and using some copper grease. the problem went away and has not returned since. The wobble gave me a bloody fright!

All sorted this morning. It was a seized mounting bolt on the n/s front calliper. Put a new set of pads in while I was there.
Thanks for all your help people.