International MIM2020

Good news for us!

finally got the necessary information and have paid for our Hotel as requested.  Travelling from Orkney using the Kirkwall to Aberdeen ferry,   Christine and I will be using the Newcastle to Ijmuiden crossing and having a few days before and after the MIM 2020.  Looking forward to meeting up with fellow members and giving our recently acquired NB Icon an airing in one of our favourite countries.

see you there!

Ian

That’s good Ian, I’ll see you there if spared. The NL club has presumably been chasing registrants who hadn’t paid to see how many places they could release.  As there was no deadline given for payment they might well still be doing that.

For anyone else with a confirmed place on the event who wishes to travel Harwich-Hook-Harwich on 20/5/20 & 24/5/20, the discount arrangement posted above is still in force.  I expect that most of the members using that route and dates will choose the overnight sailing both ways, which will give them a fourth full day in the Netherlands.

There is now a deadline for payment which is the end of November and after that the organisers will start contacting folk on the reserve list.  My initial concern was that when I registered a while ago it stated that we would receive an email confirming acceptance together with payment  method.  I didn’t receive that confirmation email but have since had many emails with great friendly info and look forward to our trip now that  we are fully booked.

Ian

Very useful information, thanks Ian.

I’ve been a bit behind with my emails, so I have only just read an email and newsletter sent from MX-5 Owners Club NL on 12 January regarding this event.

I assume everybody who has paid up and should have a confirmed reservation will have received it.

If you think you should have had one and haven’t, the email contact address is mim2020@mx-5owners.nl

Currently, there are to be 123 cars and 219 people, including 36 cars and 61 people from the UK.

Following the obvious cancellation of the MIM Netherlands 2020, has anyone who signed up and paid, received their refund yet?

Ian

Not that I am aware of. I’m not even sure they have my bank details re the hotel cost.

Regarding the ferry, I intend to call Stena next week - as I booked ‘economy’ I know it isn’t refundable on cancellation but it is changeable for a fee so I’m wondering if I can hold a credit in some way.

Hi John,
I tried replying to your message but it bounced back.- not sure why. Anyway I was asked to provide my details by the NL group but have not heard further. I’ll let you know if I hear anything but we had also booked a night in Breukelen before the meeting and we’ll probably lose that. Lucky with the Ferry though - we booked with Direct Ferries who took our money immediately and said they would confirm within 48 hrs - nothing after 5 days and when I checked the site, they had changed the dates, so I finally found a phone number and got to speak to someone who said that they couldn’t get the cabin we had asked for, for the return, hence no confirmation. They could offer a different cabin which was over £100 more - requested refund which they did give but nowhere near as fast as they took the money from us in the first place! Lesson learned and many folk are dissatisfied with the sneaky way they do business - me included. Definitely will NOT use them again

Ian

Hi John,
Just a quick update - Hotel refund arrived today from NL. I think the 2021 event is in Switzerland and if we survive intact will make every effort to go.

Ian

1 Like

Thanks Ian, yes I’ve got mine too, just had a statement. About £75 seems to have disappeared in fees and exchange rate movement! Haven’t done anything about the ferry yet - It has been suggested to me that if I wait until May I will get a refund rather than a credit - we’ll see.

Glad you got sorted, we had an email from the Hotel in Breukelen, where we had booked the one nighter and they have cancelled it and said they would refund even though it was non refundable. So we are not much out of pocket - like you though, some money has been swallowed up by the exchange rate sharks.

Hope we can get out soon!

Ian