Inverness - anyone there?

Driving an open top MX5 in the west Highlands is the midge equivalent of an open air buffet.

2 Likes

Feel the need to “come home” methinks?.. :wink:

6 Likes

One of the best roads :sunglasses:

5 Likes

For folks sake Slushy, don’t post videos like that up while we are in lockdown. Elaine’s Uncle’s 80th birthday yesterday, and it’s their Diamond Anniversary Christmas Eve and they are in Inverness. We just want to be with them to give them a hug and celebrate with them. Then you go and post stuff like that. I can almost smell the heather.

2 Likes

:disappointed:
Soz mate.
On Level 2 here surrounded by Level 3s, so a 5 mile radius for the foreseeable future, not a load of fun.
My little corner of the UK kinda gets in your veins & soul.
Hard to describe.
IanH will understand too methinks. :smirk:

3 Likes

Where is that IanH?

Going too slow!

In between Achnasheen and Gairloch, one of the best driving roads.

Agreed! I have a daughter in Kyle but haven’t been this year. A835 great too.

1 Like

Happy New Year Paul & Elaine. :joy:
( And McTrucky)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_asAnKCn_4&ab_channel=xxscaryspicexx

1 Like

Beautiful. Very Scottish without a bagpipe in sight. :wink:

1 Like

So, it is happening! Just agreed sale on our Surrey bungalow, and drawing up a shortlist of Scotland homes to view next week… Going north next Wednesday and hope to make a decision in a couple of days… Hotels in Inverness are surprisingly cheap for some reason :thinking:.

Hope to be in our new castle with sea views, multi vehicle parking, and local pub by the end of April.

Looking forward to welcoming some of you on an NC500 mission to a BBQ or beer in passing in the summer.

1 Like

I’m sure you’ve reviewed the guidelines currently in place and are aware that there has been media reporting of quite a number of people being fined for anything classed as non essential travel.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-travel-and-transport/#exceptions

https://www.scotland.police.uk/about-us/covid-19-police-scotland-response/faqs-police-powers/

Goof grief you’re right. I just looked for interest, we booked a night back in May 19 at the Craigmonie Hotel because it had parking. £149. Currently around £50 with breakfast.

I would be concerned about Covid rules mind. Isn’t Nicola watching the border? But I think you have a passport?

Cannot spot a single clue of house hunting “exceptions”.
Very grey and confused area is house viewing. As I understand it, if a journey is a proven one EG also “essential”?? McTrucky would at least need a doc proving a set viewing appointment.
And even then some say only of an empty house EG new build, or the current people standing out in the garden dying of hypo…
Even then…there seems a huge variety of “essential” interpretations.
What I do know is Polis Scot are getting very pee’d off…and tightening the noose.
I cannot even go the “Big Tesco” in my own town instead of using the local one. Different post code.
I’d certainly expect to get hauled in quite a lot…not forgetting the A9 Big Bruv cameras.
Someone actually got done ( from my post code) for doing just that last week,

Are hotels open is one consideration. I know I can book them but that all depends from when and my purpose for staying there, eg business maybe.?

Covid guidelines are quite clear that anything to do with house hunting, purchase and moving are OK. I also spoke with a couple of estate agents who confirmed that they are still allowed to, and are actually doing viewings. They understood this would involve a 500 mile drive north for us.

We will have a list of appointments made in advance and documented, as well as hard copy of guidelines to share with anyone who is concerned.

To be honest, not looking forward to it, will be a bit of a slog, and if we don’t find the perfect place, we will be a bit stuffed… we have committed to moving quickly to allow the purchaser of our house to beat the stamp duty deadlines.

As an aside, one of the places I have looked at on line was near to “Highland MX5 hire” north of Inverness. Anyone on here?

2 Likes

The weather is far from good at the moment and over the next few days, hopefully by the time you’re up it will be better.

1 Like

Poor man.
You are not exactly having the smoothest transition are you?
Since it’s Friday…please excuse the following cliche:
" When the going gets tough…etc etc."

If you do find yourself homeless surely one if the Scottish estate agents could find you a short term rental property. If they don’t have anything on their books they could probably come to an agreement with the owner of one of the many holiday properties that must be standing idle at the moment.

2 Likes