Inverness - anyone there?

We holiday in a lovely village opposite Chanonry Point (other side of the Firth) called Ardersier, last time we stayed that we seriously looked into moving there.

There’s also a lovely American fella living there called Tom, with a pale blue metallic NB - a Volvo colour I believe. :sunglasses:

Yes, we won’t come completely unstuck and have to live in an MX5 for a few months! We have family in Fife, or we could rent somewhere. Just hassle of moving twice and extra cost etc, but hey, we made the bed so we can lie in it.

In an ideal world, we will find the perfect home with vacant possession next week - fingers crossed.

We are looking at a couple of places in that area. (Croy and Clephanton) What is the airport noise like? Can’t imagine it is too bad - mostly turbo props Island hopping?

I don’t think that’s going to be a problem, even after lockdown.

Today they had one land from Stornoway at 10.33, and it’s leaving at 13.30. I think That’s probably it for today.

We’ve had a few stays at Rosemarkie, right on the beach at the Camping and Caravan Club site. We wouldn’t have known there was an airport there.

1 Like

We weren’t even aware of the planes - the odd Easyjet A300 but they’re really quiet anyway - the coastguard Sea King makes the most row TBH!

Not sure you will beat the stamp duty deadline as we had offer accepted in first week of October and might be completing next week, there is no chain either. Apparently solicitors are snowed under with work so hope you can push your sale through quickly to meet your deadline.

Yes, I do expect it will be tight… but it is the sale of ours that means a saving of £15k to the buyer if we complete before end of March - and we expect to do this. We have agreed that we can stay on into April, but that we would have completed the sale in March, and we would effectively be tenants renting from him for a few weeks. If we cannot complete our Scottish purchase, the impact is less than this, but I guess we will need to take it on the chin.
I am more concerned about removal costs - and availability. Moving a three bed house and garage from Surrey to Inverness is not going to be quick or cheap.

I’m in Glasgow but would trade just about everything (Not my 5) to live further up north, it’s a beautiful part of the country and the cliche of “Gateway to the highlands” really is true, some beautiful drives up there.

2 Likes

SUCCESS!!!

We have bought a property just outside Kinross. Drove a couple of laps around the country doing ‘drive by’ viewings and doing internal viewings on the select few that ticked all the boxes. Came close on a couple of options around Inverness, really fell in love with an old school house (Braemory near Dunphail) that was just a bit too remote… Couple of disappointments near Aberdeen, and had a scary moment in a complete whiteout on the A9 (which was closed minutes after we got through), towed some locals out of snow drifts in the Cairngorms, and then found two good options near Kinross, viewed both and bought one - a five bed farmhouse with excellent views and room for an extended garage workshop that we will build over the summer.

Expect to move in early April.

So not the Inverness home we expected, but nice and handy for the BCA auction house at Kinross so I can spend time sniffing round any interesting things going through there. Cracking veiws and roads up through Glen Devon upto Crief, Aberfeldy and beyond, so highlands on our door step, and easy access to Edinburgh and international airports for work or holiday.

So quite pleased with ourselves - mega road trip, house found, veiwed and purchased in less than a week. Heading south today and hope everything goes smoothly over the next few weeks.

5 Likes

I wish you joy of your new home.

Much as I love Moray and the Black Isle, there’s much to be said for being handy for Edinburgh.

It wouldn’t be long before I found my way to the Oxford Bar for a pint of Deuchars (and other cultural attractions of course).

1 Like

Excellent choice. I too love the Black Isle but there is no doubt that being in the central belt has advantages. Kinross is a fine town, with easy access to Perth, Dundee and Edinburgh and road, rail and air links to the rest of the the UK and further afield. Be sure to check out Backstage at the Green if you are into classic rock concerts in a fantastic environment!

Here are a couple of car photos taken within a few miles of your new house; my MX5 with West Lomond in the background and my Up GTI at Loch Leven, taken just before the current lockdown.

Hope your move north goes smoothly.

1 Like

Go on. Post us a link to the agent details for the new home. Edinburgh is our favourite city anywhere in the world. Always feels friendly and safe. Not to far north for jaunts down south but access to everything Scotland has to offer. Well done you.
:grinning:

1 Like

Here it is:

Hope the link works, doing this on my phone.

If you can stand the smell of the country we will have a BBQ in the summer. Covid willing! Be good to meet a few of you.

1 Like

Blimey!
That’s as bang on as a bang on thing.
It’s a very nice area.
Congratulations.
We know the area fairly well ( we are less than a gallon from you-to-be) as my deceased 10 years old Godson spent time at the amazing Childrens’ Hospice close by.

2 Likes

Bloody Nora, that’s amazing. Well done. Let us know the B&B rates when you get sorted. :wink:

1 Like

Lot of house for your money up there! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:
Well done.

1 Like

Mk1-ers Welcome.
Only. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Congratulations looks like you have found the house you have been looking for and plenty of room for lots of MX5s!
Some great roads up here to enjoy your 5DSC_0404|666x500

1 Like

Can I borrow Bruce? :wink:

Any time you want.!