iPod/phone lead or DAB

I’m looking into ways to inexpensively get a better music source in my 2006 NC. Currently I have the standard (non MP3 radio CD)

I did think of changing the whole thing for an MP3 version but that would only give me the ability to play MP3 CDs.

USB input would be better but then I’m into a new head unit and replacement surround and lots of cables. The adapters are about £80 before I buy a head unit

Now I’m wondering if there is anything available the would connect to one of my old iPods, lots of music there but it would need to have charge and track control too. MX5parts used to see an adapter but at over £80 its too much as I’m a skinflint!

Or maybe something like a Pure Highway and I could play DAB through my existing radio but wouldn’t that have boxes and wires everywhere. No idea what they cost.

there must be an inexpensive solution somewhere - ------------?

I’ve never used one myself as I discovered a way to adapt the radio in my NA to take in the aux audio lead, but had I not done this I was going to try one of those bluetooth FM cigarette socket dongles that can be had off eBay.

There are cheaper ones than that one above available but it shows what I mean.

Hi Grumpy 2, connects 2 have a Bluetooth module that plugs into the back of the radio, then you can stream DAB from your phone

This is the cheapest way of connecting an iPod to the rear of the standard radio. It plugs into the connection that would be used for the CD changer if that was an option.
Goliton® AUX 3.5mm Cable Connect iPod iPhone MP3 Phone Audio to Mazda Car Player connector adapter cable (2 Meters long) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006FFCONA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WEMuEbYDH0XB7
It would be a radio out job, some have managed to connect without removing the radio although it’s very fiddly getting behind there.
Another alternative is one I followed as shown above with that plug in DAB unit.
As below…

It worked very well but I had interference coming from my dash cam, it upset the DAB signal. It worked well without my dash cam operating. I had it tuned in to a radio frequency but it worked better actually plugged into the radio via a 3.5mm jack. Don’t think the standard NC radio has that. Mine was connected to an aftermarket head unit with a front jack.
Drawbacks with these type of units are the wires, and using up of the 12v connection in the dash. You would definitely need a DAB aerial too, a stick on window type.
I ended up buying a complete new head unit all bells and whistles, DAB, Bluetooth Android auto etc…
The one in the picture above takes an SD card (micro) or plug in a flash drive to the USB to play your tunes. Charges via the USB too and you can connect your phone via Bluetooth for hands free calls.

thanks for all the above.

Dont fancy a 3.5mm jack as I’d still need to charge and I’d have no playback control.

Don’t mind taking the existing unit out to get to the back

cant find the connects2 bluetooth thingy???

Didn’t think about DAB aerial! - more messy wiring.

MickAp, maybe I should have bought your head unit after all…

Hi, can be found on : connect2.co.uk## CTAMZ1A2DP

Description

Mazda A2DP Bluetooth Streaming Interface allowing you to stream music from your mobile device via A2DP - meaning no wires across the dashboard.

Features & Benefits

• Plugs into the original Aux port on the OEM radio therefore offering high quality audio. Please ensure your Aux port is functional before purchase
  • Allows connection of any audio device with A2DP Bluetooth streaming capability
  • Hideaway Solution – dash retains the OEM look with no additional wires.
  • Ideal for iPhone 7
  • Please check the connections in the vehicle match the harness you are purchasing

Yes that’s gone now to someone who didn’t need the facia kits to fit it (Mk2)
They are the additional costs associated with fitting an aftermarket head unit into the NC’s dash. I gave up in the end with the standard radio unit as said, it’s just too limited in the earlier NC’s and I’ve never played a CD in a car for years, that just left the radio.

Plug in solutions are always going to be a bit Heath Robinson. Do you really want all that stuff out on display in a convertible?

The bluetooth unit that plugs in the back looks like a really good solution if your head unit supports it.

I’ve priced up the cheapest way into getting aux in with a new head unit:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/mechless-players/pioneer-mvh-s110ubw-mechless-mp3-digital-car-stereo-flac-rds-usb-aux

That little lot will get you aux in and USB playback for about £90. No steering wheel controls though.

Change the head unit to this:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/mechless-players/pioneer-mvh-x580dab-mechless-am-fm-bluetooth-usb-dab-dab-spotify-stereo

This will give you DAB & bluetooth handsfree/music but you’ll need an aerial to go with it. Decent aerial is another £30+ so you should get change from £180. This is what I have in mine, it’s a really good unit especially for the price, I put one in my other car too

The highway DAB kits are good, my wife has one in her car which I have hard wired so only the remote box is visible. She is happy with it but I would not be, it’s too much faffing around getting the station you want, making sure the head unit is on the right station etc. DAB audio quality is not the greatest even with a good head unit, convert it to analog to rebroadcast over FM so that the original head unit can play it degrades it further. They start at £60

You can use an adaptor that plugs into the CD port at the rear left of the radio and gives you a fly lead that can sit in your glovebox with a female USB end - so have gazillions of tunes on a USB memory stick .

I’ve got a spare one now that I have a Pioneer double din unit fitted :wink:

this type of thing?

Hi, I stream my music from my phone using this USB powered Bluetooth adaptor. Powered from accessory socket and plugs into Aux socket. Phone is mounted on holder on windscreen. If you iPod has Bluetooth it could be a cheap solution. Can’t skip tracks etc from head unit or steering wheel, but you can from the phone or by using Siri if driving.

yes it is