Is It Really Us?

MX-5 owners…
See at 8 mins 40 secs, or watch from the start of course.

Started from 8 mins 40 secs and got to 12 mins 30 secs… Really unprofessional presenting and totally put me off watching the rest of it.
I’m not sure if they would even get a job on daytime TV.
I have to say that I’m completely opposite to what the two people in front of camera make MX5 owners to be like.
Everyone is different and people have their own opinions, but life is too short (for me anyway) to give this pair the time of day…and relax!

2 Likes

A fat bloke that used to flog Mini’s on PCP. Clueless and stereotyped.

3 Likes

The one on the right is a fairly odious ■■■■■■ who obviously only cares about the margin and making as little effort as possible to achieve it, car dealer pro… probably

2 Likes

A couple of comedians, fairly typical of the breed.

3 Likes

wannabe pro traders I used to sell cars to the trade and those two will be exactly like those they are talking about
prob both worked at a main dealers so they are no better than a double Glazing sales man or an estate agent :cowboy_hat_face:
all the years I have been round the motor trade you can’t stereotype people by the cars they like,
look at the diverse people on here all walks of life some like standard cars some like modified ,
anyone who is spending hard earned cash on a car is entitled to know as much as they want about it
old school traders once they said they bought it they had even if they got in it and the clutch slipped or it smoked so when they bought anything they would ask all about it
those two monkeys wouldn’t have lasted ten mins in the trade years ago

1 Like

I watch a few similar YouTube car (small time) dealers. Some take you to auctions and give you an idea on what to buy, look out for etc. This one in the video, on the right, went along with another couple of traders to an auction and the banter started whilst going round the cars. It’s all there anyway on YouTube, I watched a few videos but hearing and seeing in the video you get the impression, very much so now, that they are taking the p–+ out of their customers. They do a great deal of moaning about some of the potential buyers, it’s a one sided story of course.
Anyways being as this dealer has a business in Derbyshire I took a look at his stock. He has something I was interested in (genuinely) to the point I was going to have a drive over there. This isn’t going to happen with this sort of attitude, no way, plenty of others out there.

I suppose these two go to bed every night, thinking they have that social media scourge of being “Influencers”…? I simply recognise them, however, as “wastes of space”.

They certainly influenced me, but not in the way they probably hoped to! :rofl:

2 Likes

I thought I knew it all when I was that age.

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard that expression used against someone as old as 44 (the guy on the right).

Ironically this puts him in the ‘mid-life crisis’ age range where he should be on the lookout for an MX-5 with full service history AND a club sticker (which as every club member knows is given out each year for patching the sill holes) :smiley:

3 Likes

Who cares what they think??
Enjoy your car as you wish…

Didn’t get to the end of the MX-5 chat. This is why I mostly dislike some of the internet.

5 Likes

Always wondered what to do with those 2nd, 3rd and 4th and so on stickers after sticking my first one on and deciding one was enough, thanks for the tip :wink:

Didn’t get to the end of the MX-5 chat. This is why I mostly dislike some of the internet.

I was thinking these two might learn a lot if they spent a decade or two watching magnolia paint dry, could get all Viktor Mildew about the state of youtube but mostly it really is not worth it.

2 Likes

While it is a pretty dull video, not something you are going to be waiting for the next instalment of, if you read the pages of this forum I think they might be closer to the general truth than you think! :rofl:

What it does say however, is that if you want to sell an MX-5, become good friends with your local graphics sticker shop! Owners Club badge, certainly sir, what year would you like?

1 Like

Also didn’t get very far in the video. Apart from it being very boring, and the sound awful, they only seemed to be talking at the POV of, and seemingly to me to the interest of, second hand car dealers.

The small portion I did listen to, apparently MX-5 buyers are interested in the condition of, and the history of, the vehicle they’re interested in buying. This apparently, is a bad thing. Strange take.

2 Likes

Elements of this may well ring true but why do they sneer at it all? A sale’s a sale and they should respect the customer from the outset. One could do a whole sketch about Honda Jazzes too but a dealer selling those should not be criticising the generally older customers who buy those cars. This would be like doctors joking about their patients, it’s unpleasant and completely undermines the relationship.

Onto the details then. Asking for the car to be put on the ramp is reasonable given the whole rust aspect involved. As for being meticulous about the services, this may be so up to the 8 year or so mark but in fact because these are hobby cars as they age the condition ‘on spec’ becomes more important than demanding a service history which includes a service every single year up to the 15th year and beyond when the cars may only do 1000-4000 miles a year. As for the comment about people living on the edges of towns and doing well for themselves, well that is typical anti-aspiration Britain I’m afraid and just reflects the generally critical attitude of these two whose humour seems to be based on mockery. Losers.

You are all taking it very personally. This is two second hand car dealers making a video essentially for people in the trade to associate with, it is even called “Car Dealer Therapy.”
Car dealers buy and sell cars in the same way as B&Q sells paint. It is a product to sell, not an item with emotional attachment, the quicker they can do that, the sooner they can be on to the next customer. It does not even mean they are rude or unhelpful to the customer, simply stating the typical effort they will have to go though. That they would like to sit in their office and make easy sales is not exactly a revelation to the world and talking about the stereotypical customer is not exactly slighting them, it is not a video for the customer. I’m sure everyone has had a working life with no difficult “customers” whether that be colleagues, associates, or public, it is just the typical stories people tell.

2 Likes

These guys are a great example of who not to buy a car from

3 Likes

I know loads of traders and this isn’t a video for them either

2 Likes