Is this car worth buying? Rusty sills!

So I’ve just been to see a MX-5 NC 2.0 Sport in Stormy Blue, exactly what I’m after. However, the sills are completely knackered.

Take a look:

https://imgur.com/a/LklTP4N

And a video:

https://youtu.be/L4XoGqA_HxM

The seller was gutted that I found this when I viewed it, and has now dropped the price dramatically to compensate.

The question is, is it worth buying and can it actually be repaired?

The car is gorgeous, and I’m happy to buy the car and then spend what I’ve saved on the repairs, but I want to make sure it actually CAN be repaired.

Is this too far gone, or can these sills be repaired? The last thing I want is to buy it and a garage tell me that it’s scrap.

Thanks everyone!

Yee gods, I didn’t rearlise NCs were getting that bad. As with the mk2s, if that is what you can see I’d be very worried about what you can’t see.
Depends on how much he’s knocked the price down by and how much you want it I guess.
If the price has been dropped by a grand, maybe.
Personaly I’d walk away, there are plenty of mk3s out there.
D

Horrendous isn’t it.

Price wise, it’s pretty muc a grand off the asking price because of the problem. That’s why it’s tempting.

There are others out there and I could buy one that ‘looks’ ok for a full asking price, then find I need to do it down the line anyway. My thinking was to buy this cheap, repair it. Then it’s an MX-5 that’s been repaired and would still be a good price. But I’d only buy it knowing I could repair it.

That makes me worry with the rust that I can’t see. Didn’t think of that.

Basically, I could repair it and the overall cost of the car/repair would be what I was originally thinking of spending on an NC, but I’d have one that I know is okay, rather than think is okay.

Or is it not worth it?

These might interest you…

If the seller was so gutted at being ignorant of that mobile sieve, one wonders what more he/she was/is oblivious of. Like proper servicing for a kick off.
Don’t see " a grand" for both sides working tbh.
Anyway, if you can weld…
Frankly there are plenty out there pretty much in one piece if not quite the colour or spec you lust after.
As the old saying goes…if it’s got boobs or rust, it’ll empty your wallet…fast.

2 Likes

Fair comment. I think the general consensus is is to walk away. Thanks everyone, appreciate it!

1 Like

Well from academic interest perhaps, that level of rot did not happen in between MOTs, so you might want to check that as well if you need any convincing! Bit of a shocker really.

1 Like

Yep it’s too much work, plenty of NC’s to choose from. At least you know where to look now for the grot. :+1:

I know of an icon 2008 for sale and I can vouch for the seller a nice genuine person. The car looks great in passing but I have not had a close up, I did consider it myself before I bought my MK2, if your interested I can find out more.
Dave

I’ve just bought one! It has absolutely no rust and is very low miles (43,000). I’m a very, very happy owner. I’ll get a thread up soon showing it. Thanks for the advise everyone!

3 Likes

It makes it worthwhile when people actually have the minerals to post up their result.
Some do not bother.
Great outcome, well done. Lifestyle change in many ways.
Enjoy.

Start running and don’t stop until you find an MX that is a lot better than that. They are out there, keep looking.

Oi fink he just dunnit mate! :rofl: