Is your MX Mk4 still outside? The Times article . . .

Keyless cars become prime target as vehicle thefts rise by over 50%

key

Vehicle thefts have risen by more than 50 per cent in four years as concerns grow about the vulnerability of “keyless” cars.

New figures show that 152,541 vehicles were stolen in 2018-19 compared with 97,609 in 2014-15. All but three of Britain’s police forces that responded to a freedom of information request recorded an increase in thefts over the four-year period.

In the last year alone, thefts of vehicles rose by 7 per cent, with the biggest increase in large rural areas. This included a 44 per cent rise in Suffolk, 37 per cent in Bedfordshire and 32 per cent in North Wales.

RAC Insurance, which carried out the study, said that the rise was partly due to the theft of large numbers of motorbikes and mopeds which are easier to steal and less likely to have immobilisers.

The rise also reflects criticism over the vulnerability of “keyless” cars that are opened and started using a fob. Thieves use relay boxes — one near the car and another close to the front door of the owner’s home where the fob is usually kept — to extend the signal and make it appear that the device is within range. They can then open the doors and drive off.

Recent research has indicated that large numbers of new cars are still vulnerable to the flaw despite the existence of relatively simple solutions. This includes fobs fitted with motion sensors that “sleep” when not being used.

Owners being careless with their keys is another factor. Government data shows that thieves actually used a key to steal almost half of vehicles, suggesting that owners were failing to protect or hide their keys.

Simon Williams, a spokesman for RAC Insurance, said: “These figures paint a rather disturbing picture; vehicle thefts are on the rise almost everywhere, and in some parts of the country numbers are rocketing. It’s also not the case that the rises in crime are confined to a few larger urban areas, with many police forces covering more rural areas also seeing big increases.

“While vehicle crime is at far lower levels today than it was in the early 1990s, thanks to improvements in vehicle security, and the number of vehicles licensed to be driven on the UK’s roads is higher than at any point in the past, it’s still concerning that so many more vehicles are being stolen than just a few years ago.”

Overall, thefts of motor vehicles have risen by 56 per cent in four years, the study said. Six forces reported that thefts had more than doubled, including Suffolk, from 347 to 945, Surrey from 661 to 1,543, and Greater Manchester from 3,018 to 6,223.

Over this period, the largest rise was in Kent, where incidents increased by 12,550 or 45 per cent, from 28,176 to 40,726. In the Metropolitan Police area, numbers were up by 9,635 or 46 per cent, to 30,773.

RAC Insurance said that drivers could take steps to avoid being a “relay attack” victim.

“If you have a keyless car fob, always keep it well away from doors and windows in your house,” it said. “Keeping it in a metal Faraday box or signal-blocking wallet can stop thieves copying the signal.”

I bought a couple of faraday wallets on Amazon for a few £££ so it is an easy solution. I also have a small wooden box lined with foil which I made.

[AMAZON FARADAY POUCH]

Yep, I also have a couple of faraday pouches for my keys and I can confirm that they do work. I can stand next to my car with the keys in the pouch and the doors will not open. I have also taken the battery out my spare key and taped it to the outside of the key fob so that it is not constantly transmitting to the car and wasting the battery. I don’t want to be in a position that I have lost my main set of keys and the battery is flat in my spare set. Additionally my ND is blocked in the drive 99% of the time by my wife’s car, so thieves would have to shift that first!

I had a square tin what I lined the inside and out with foil also wrapped spare key in foil that worked a treat just got in the habit of placing key in tin as soon as I walked in the house

1 Like

my daily driver keys live in a Yorkshire tea tin with added foil, thought I was being a bit crazy, good to know it’s not just me :slight_smile:

1 Like

No you are just being resourceful …or tight like me :rofl:

1 Like

My daily is keyless.
My daily key is kept in a faraday pouch, the spare is simply warapped in tin foil in a cupboard.