Italy 2014

I’m planning on a little driving holiday to Italy, to just outside of Rome, the excuse being to go see my old M2-1002, which is now part of a rather large MX5 collection, and meet up with the local MX5 owners. This is a bit of a first for me; the closest I’ve come to driving on the Continent was some hire cars for work in Germany, and an Audi A3 from Frankfurt to Munich, for Oktoberfest. The plan is to get the S-Limited fettled for this trip (and it might need a fair amount of fettling Cry).

I’ve started sketching out a route, so appreciate any tips, route suggestions etc. At the moment, I know my starting point and my desitination, with the bits in the middle to be filled out. The vague plan at the moment is Blighty-France-Belgium-Germany-Switzerland-Italy-Rome, spend 2-3 days hanging out down there, then returning. I’ve sketched a route via France, but wondered whats it like going back up via Austria.

http://goo.gl/maps/AXZ02

I was going to figure out a route, then places to stay.

Looks pretty good so far to me. Our trip earlier this year didn’t get quite so far South, but nearly at 2800 miles. Stelvio and Col de Turini are essential if going that way. I’d pop into Monaco as you are so close…

We went through France on the motorways down, and then the same mostly on the way back. I’ve not driven through Paris but undertand its to be avoided if you can…

Would love to head that way again next year…

Martin,

Thanks for the comment. Just an early stab, and I might decide to go back via Austria rather than France. Got 9 months or so to work on this.

Hi Saz - coincidentally I just had a road trip to visit friends on lake Bracciano a few weeks back (for the 2nd time) and have been to Milan with the Alfa club back in 2010. This year we did stopovers near Mulhouse (Schlumpf Museum), in Andermatt and Pisa on the way down, and on the way back visited Arona on Lake Maggiore, Aletsch Glacier in the Alps, and back up through France.

Other trips have been via Luxembourg/Belgium/Germany (Nurburgring etc), and also the western side of France and Vosges Mountains which are glorious.    

We always take in the Alps for these trips but haven’t done it in the MX5 yet (but took the 1969 Alfa Spider to Milan in 2010 which was faultless). 

I’ll dig out my routes and stopovers in case those help and post them at the weekend. In the meantime let me know if you want any specific advice on particular areas etc.  

How long did you anticipate taking? I’d suggest two or possibly three stopover nights each way at least as A/B roads (and especially the Alp crossings) always take longer than anticipated - and to take in the scenery as well means taking it easy and not too many miles per day.  

Chris

Thanks; keep the suggestions coming. Alternatively, I have also considered returning via Austria, and taking in the Grossglockner Pass. Either way, a 3000 mile trip, for which I will allow 14 days.

Hi Andy,

Yes France is great for driving in, good roads and lots of space with courteous drivers. Once you get to southern Italy in particular realise that the speed signs mean the minimum speed(!) stay over and expect all sorts of daft overtaking manoeuvres.

Perhaps down to the south coast of France around Frejus (or even Saint Tropez if it’s not a busy time), almost any route you fancy, tolls or RNs depending on time and stops, then follow the coast road to Genoa and the main drag down to Rome. The coast roads and a look around Cannes and Monaco are well worth doing if you’ve not been there. Come back a different route perhaps as you say.

This time last year we wanted to do more in Italy so flew to Rome and hired a Golf convertible at the airport for 10 days. We stayed in Terracina on the coast which put Naples, Pompei and that famous bit of the Amalfi coast to Positano within a days outing. It would be do-able from Rome but better with a stop over, Sperlonga is nice. The mountain road over from Pompei to the coast, and the 10 or 12 miles along the Amalfi coastline, really are something.

Just seen your post looking at the google map can I suggest when you leave Andermatt and head for Altorf take the Klausenstrasse to Glarus Nord I drove the pass in July 2013 it is fantastic.
Have a good trip
Kevin

Depends on how long you’ve got to get there and back. The Voges Region is nice and in particular Route De Cretes if you decide to head to Mulhouse. Route De Grande Alps is a fabulous route to take, it goes from somewhere near Geneve (Thonon Les Bains if I remember correctly) and takes in numerous mountain passes (Cols) finishing with the Col De Turini http://www.grande-traversee-alpes.com/en/route-des-grandes-alpes/not-to-be-missed/mountain-passes It will take a fair bit longer than Route Napoleon mind. Alternative to starting from Thonon you could head through Switzerland to Martigny which is at the bottom of the Grand St Bernard pass (Italian Job was filmed on this pass), you can then head to the Petit St Bernard and into France where you can join up with Route Des Grand Alps at Bourg Saint Maurice.

In Switzerland if you are doing the Furka there are a number of other passes in a kind of loop, also known as the Andermatt loop, Susten, Oberalp to name but two. The run from the eastern side of the Stelvio through Switzerland to Andermatt is bloody good, it goes through Davos then up and around to Chur before heading along to Andermatt.

The route I can see on that which goes from Switzerland up to Stuttgart ‘needs’ to go through the Black Forest, Route 500 is the famous road but in a 5 and trying to push on you might find frustrating (twisty and busy) so take a random route through and it won’t disappoint (at least it didn’t me when I was there in June last year).

Near Trier you are in the Mosel region, follow the river and you’ll see vinyard after vinyard, it’s a canny little twisty river. Also if you are getting as close to it as you are then head to the Nurburgring. I went and saw endless amounts of exotica, Ferrari 599, Mclaren MP12, Porsche GT3’s among quite a few others.

Saz,

Have you sorted this out?

I’m starting a work related trip which occupies this weekend and next weekend, but next week I’m in Munich for Oktoberfest and then on Monday week, driving via Andermatt, Freudenstadt, Baden Baden and Calais to home on Wednesday evening.

Andrew.

Unfortunately the realities of maintaining a 21 year old MX5, an 18 year old MX5 and work meant this was put on the back burner for a year. But I am keeping an eye on routes. The aim is to get S-Limited into A1 condition before taking it to Miataland on the shores of Lake Bracciano.

I did Oktoberfest a few years back, which involved a dash to Kaiserslauten to collect a US Army colonel friend of mine, then to Munich, eating greasy pork trotters washed down by beer. Getting to the tents at night was a bad idea, it was better getting there for 8am, and getting some in, inside a tent, with the bands and all.