It's time I gave something back to the forum

While I was playing about with the hood latches I discovered one of the rubber weatherstrips on the frame was missing and another was damaged. I thought it would be easy to identify the items from the parts lists I had and then look for replacements on the internet. I was wrong.

At first, I found the parts lists and diagrams confusing. I was concerned about minor differences between model years and regions if I bought from Ebay. Eventually, after much Googling and with the help of a Youtube video or two, plus this simplified view I worked out what was what.

If it helps anyone with a similar car, the part numbers are:

Item 3: NC10-R1-431B (right); NC10-R1-441B (left)

Item 4: NC10-R1-432B/C/D/F (right); NC10-R1-442 B/C/D/F (left)

Item 5: NC10-R1-411C (right); NC10-R1-421C (left)

Item 6: NC10-R1-412C (right); NC10-R1-422C (left)

Item 7: NC10-R1-413C (right); NC10-R1-423C (left)

Items 9, 10 and 11 are the metal retainers for the rubber parts.

The “Hood Side Seals” sold by MX5Parts and others are items 5, 6 and 7 in the diagram. These are the ones that press up against the windows.

I needed NC10R1431B and NC10R1442C. Other than the USA and Germany, I couldn’t find these anywhere on the internet – new or used. Eventually, thinking this is going to be expensive, I went to the local Mazda dealer, who ordered them for me (from the Netherlands, I think). As it turns out the price wasn’t too bad.

Being up close and personal with the hood, I noticed some of the stitching at the front corners had failed. A new hood seemed excessive, so I needed to find a way to stop it getting any worse.

Bob
(South Essex)

3 Likes