I've done something stupid, so you don't have to (NC 2.0 Airbox Mod)

Hi guys

I have decided to cut open my airbox, see my effort below.

Why you ask?

1. To release some induction noise
  2. Because I’m a 38 year old boy racer/ chav
  3. Because a second hand airbox is £20
  4. Because I was bored

“But… but… your intake temps will be higher!” You say.

Meh, maybe, maybe not. If you look at the surrounding area around the airbox, it is all quite well enclosed away from the radiator.
Possibly in traffic there will be a higher amount of heat soak, we’ll see I guess.

I’ll see you at Santa Pod.

“Yeah but the standard MX5 intake is already a cold air intake!” You scream at me!

I know, I know. But I wanted to hear more of the brrappp from the induction. I’m sorry OK!

“Pft, I’d never do that to my car” you snigger in my direction

Cool… Cool… yeah I get it… nice, you do you brother.

My conclusion so far.

• 30% additional induction noise
  • imperceptible impact on performance (it actually feels slightly freer since I did this and installed a foam panel filter, I understand this is 100% a placebo and it is likely slightly slower if anything at all)
  • 100% more smiles on WOT with the roof down

Here is a pic of my handy work.
It took around one hour with a Dremel.
You’re very welcome. :innocent:

6 Likes

silly sausage

1 Like

I’ve sone loadsssssssss of stupid things to my MX5 that weren’t useful to anyone at all :smiley:

More noise = more smiles = definitely useful!

1 Like

I might put playing cards in the spokes of my wheels so it makes a motorbike noise.

5 Likes

It’s your car so it’s up to you what you do. Only thing I would say is you should of drilled them out of the bottom of the box, that way the box would still look untouched and also if any water ever found its way in it could just drain straight out…

1 Like

Very thoughtful of you to provide a nice warm place for a mouse to take up residence!

3 Likes

I like this A LOT!

The MX5 def lacks intake noise - and intake noise is oh so sweet!! I may just do this to mine…

1 Like

I’m all for this sort of mod. You get the soundtrack whilst the rest of the world is left in peace :slight_smile:

I think Mazda introduced this as standard on the NC3/3.5? Ironically I learned this fact from a Ytube video where the guy was removing it ! If it’s standard it must be improvable sort of thingy

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

oh no,

There is an expensive alternative . . .

2 Likes

Absolutely brilliant. :star_struck: I’m off to do the same. Maybe a hole in the bottom too though :joy: Hopefully you’ll never grow out of this type of stuff, I’m 60 next birthday and so not looking forward to growing up.
Cheers
Marc

2 Likes