Jaguar braking problem

Not really a request about a repair, but about repair warranty.

Back in June, on my 2004 XJ8, I noticed a rear wheel was a bit warm to touch and was dusting up more than the other. A few months earlier, I had a full set of pads and discs fitted. Put it into a local Jag independant, who diagnoseda sticking caliper. A manufactured caliper was fitted. 6 months on, and its sticking again, and the disc which was new in March is now trashed.

COVID is the complication; the indie has a child who is clinically vulnerable. Over the summer, I think he was ok with working, but not now in the new lockdown, and I don’t blame him.

The warranty with the caliper, if its that, is it between meand the Indie or the caliper supplier?

I may have to take the car to a local general garage, and suck up the cost of repairs, including, possibly, another caliper. And they might want to charge me for a new Jaguar caliper, given the one on there is a recon (and which can’t be used for exchange).

Maybe your indie can arrange an exchange or refund for you, even if he can’t fix it? Assuming you can actually speak to him of course.

Ohh, that’s a real nasty question.
I think i would ‘contact’ the independent by by phone (socially distant) and ask him to contact the supplier (again socially distanced) of the recond caliper to see if it came with any warranty, but as you stated the caliper was fitted 6 months ago you might be barking up the wrong tree.
Good luck, but knowing how much it cost me 14 years ago to have a clutch fitted on a 4 wheel drive Jag it aint gonna be cheap.

Sorted with the Indie

2 Likes

Good to hear.

As it should be.
He was the supplier’s customer, not you.
Had a similar experience 2 years back with a complete disc/caliper renewal on our Sport.
Rear offside was grabbing, Eurocarparts delivered a new one next day, took dodgy one back no worries.

Turned out not to be the caliper, but the parking brake cable had popped out of a retainer on the anti-roll bar. New cable, and its reportedly ok now. As expected, the new brake discs fitted in March are scrap (well one is) as it was down to metal on metal.

But, I wanted a slight coolant loss to be investigated at the same time. No drips on the drive, and the oil was lovely and clear. So after pressure testing, this happened, on the lift.

So new radiator time.

Ouch, ÂŁ1100 bill; 5.5 hours labour for new rad, aircon regas, discs, pads, e-brake cables

Right, still got hot brakes. Resorting to Facebook “experts” who have proved worthless, with many claiming that its a blocked flexihose, until it transpires they are talking about a much older model. Cue “they only cost £15 each, so why not change them anyhow”; they don;t, they’re are £150 each from Jaguar, and £80m for a pattern part.

Any thoughts?

On these cars, there is an actuator that operates the cables on the caliper, or rathe, operates one cable, which actuates the other. This is controlled by a parking brake module; faults with this flash up as a fault on the dash. Replacing the motor requires dropping the rear subframe, or cutting a hole in the body. I can hear the motor operating, when applying the parking brake.

Is the parking brake cable correctly adjusted? (thinking this might have been upset by ‘rerouting’). If you take the fuse out of the parking brake or disable the motor in some other way do the brakes still bind? Is the mechanical actuator on the caliper working OK? Assuming the caliper sliders are free, might a pad be sticking in the caliper? I’ve had a set of pads that I had to file down a bit (on a '99 MX-5, not a Jaguar).

I should say I’m not a talented mechanic and I know not a lot about Jaguars…