Just went and kicked its head in... loving it šŸ˜

Are they not to give downforce to the bra to stop it flapping about at the trailing edge?

Its all strapped tight under the bonnetā€¦ with hooks tooā€¦

Perhaps they are designed to offer further protection to the windscreen. Rather than have more stones miss the bra and hit further up the bonnet or the windscreen, they may create a further way of offering protection. also they may create a wind flow barrier?

Anyway, I have never liked them and as Amber says, they may save your bonnet from stone chips, but if they damage the paint anyway, there really is no reason for them, unless you never tale it off!

The paint on my new ND is so soft, it is already damaged in several places and it is only 3 months old. Very sadā€¦

Anyway, enjoy your driving Amber!

1 Like

Might beā€¦they impact aerodynamics to the wiper blades and lessen lift.
Always puzzled me why only one blade arm gets an aero wing on itā€¦same for Mk1s.
If you pop up your pop-ups at speed, itā€™s remarkable the change in buffeting on the screen.
Not got Pop Ups?
Then againā€¦they all seem to ā€œneedā€ them.
Pointless.

Do you remember when Mk1 Cortinas were rallying, and somehow their windscreens remained a lot cleaner than their competitors? It turned out to be that little raised section on the front of the bonnet where the badge lived.

Hereā€™s a picture from Wikipedia to show the bonnet shape

5 Likes

Love the Fred Hart Mk1 Cortina.
Such a great designā€¦

2 Likes

I do love that carā€¦ makes sense with the bra flaps lol.
But yesā€¦ dont recommend them at allā€¦ rather have stone chips.

1 Like

And with very, very thin metal at least 200kg lighter than an MX5ā€¦
(I speak from experience!)

200kg is a lotā€¦

OK so a supplier of these things on the web says, and itā€™s their typo not mine!

Also always buy one with wind deflectors they are a ā€˜Road Safety Requirementā€™, they are there for a reasion.

Also ownership is not a straightforward thing at all, read this!!!

"The mask should not stay on your car more than 3-7 days max (dry), without washing as damage may be caused due to road debris being gathered onto the vehicle and working its way under the bra. This will vary depending on the time of year and road conditions.

ā€œThe bra also ā€˜mustā€™ be taken off straight away after a journey if the vehicle has been out in the rain. The bonnet bra/full bra must not be left on the vehicle for a long period of time when wet; it must be taken off and totally dried before being put back on the vehicle.ā€

3 Likes

Unfortunately this bonnet bra has been kept on longerā€¦ ive only have thr cars 2 weeksā€¦ and the paint is ruined.
Guess the precious owner just liked the looked rather than using it how it was meant to be usedā€¦

*The bra also ā€˜mustā€™ be taken off straight away after a journey if the vehicle has been out in the rain. The bonnet bra/full bra must not be left on the vehicle for a long period of time when wet; it must be taken off ā€¦
Reminds me vaguely of a conversation in the back of my purple Metaflake Beach Buggy with then GF. around 1971 in a wooded path off Loch Lomond one hot summer night.
I do not recall the relationship lasting very longā€¦

6 Likes

Iā€™m surprised bra wasnā€™t censored on here. :grin:

4 Likes

That would certainly be " A Storm in a T-Cup" !! :rofl:

1 Like

Pretty sure it was Double D TBH.

2 Likes

That was in the other thread, ā€œwhat is your favourite beerā€ and yes I love double d.:grin:

1 Like

Canā€™t beat a bit of topless motoringā€¦ its what MX5ā€™s are for!!

2 Likes

The little flaps on the trailing edge of the bonnet bra are as suggested, there to act as spoilers. They are designed to reduce the flapping of the rear edge.

Trouble with these things is they get full of grit and then donā€™t work as intended.

1 Like

Yeah its horribleā€¦ its damaged the paint massively.