Keeps resetting [2.0 ND RF]

My son’s 2000 - RF has a problem. When driving the screen goes black and he loses all info. When he stops, the car won’t restart. He has to disconnect battery for a while then when he connects again, everything resets. Any ideas?

Sometimes the Satnav card can cause problems, and to see if that’s the problem try removing the card. Also an update to the infotainment firmware will help too.

Which screen, the satnav or the driver information in the instrument binnacle?

The screen that has sat nav goes black first

Tried that, thank you

Sat nav screen goes black, says retractable hartop malfunction, engine management system light comes on. If it stops, car doesn’t restart.

Only times I have seen those warnings are:

• Dead battery
  • Blown main fuse (no starter or alternator)
  • Fried roof controller

I am going to say the top two are unlikely if the car started fine and there aren’t any other messages (if the alternator isn’t working the car tells you about it and to pull over)

Does your son have any aftermarket electronics such as a roof controller fitted?

I would also suggest pulling the navigation SD card to ensure it isn’t that. I removed mine as my central screen was always rebooting and have never put the SD card back in as I don’t user the navigation.

Also, does your son have anything plugged into the 12V or other USB devices/dashcams connected?
And does the car have cruise control/is it left enabled when turned off?
(What year is it too as I think this impacted early cars?)

Finally, are any of the buttons on the center console for screen control sticky/depressed when they shouldn’t be?

Lots of questions I know but will hopefully give us some idea.

No sd card in it now. No aftermarket bits. Completely as standard.
Thank you.

The car is under 3 years old so will go back to dealer under warranty. Just needed to see if anybody had an idea about what could be wrong.