Kumho PS71 v’s HS52

1. My model of MX-5 is: __1996 NA Merlot 1.8
  2. I’m based near: __Skipton
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Tyre recommendations for 195/50 R15
    Dry use only (unless caught out) plus occasional track days. Not concerned about wear rates.

Having read a lot of opinions I was ready to plump for Kumho PS71 but then realised that they are not available in this size. The only ones that are, are the HS52’s (£43) but are these as highly rated by members as the PS71’s ?
Anyone got any experience with them?
Alternative I’m considering is Michelin PS3 at £128 more for 4 (PS5’s not available either)
Had Uniroyal RS5’s on my previous Rocketeer to help tame it in the wet which were very good but the priority is dry performance for this car.
Thanks

We have the hs52 on our swift and it’s a fine tyre. They’re hardly performance cars with a 1.2 engine but the tyres are comfortable, not noisy and no issues so far. I think they’re 185/50/16 and as you say, the size dictates whether the more performance oriented variant is available for them or not.

The HS52s are in a different category to the PS71, The 52s are a premium touring summer tyre. The 71s are an ultra high performance summer tyre.

Some of this is related to the tyre size you’re looking at. As it’s simply not viable for tyre manufacturers to offer all tyres in smaller sizes.

I think they’d be quite suitable for your intended use though. Out of interest, where are you seeing them at your quoted price? Seems cheap.

I’d also take a look at the Hankook Ventus Prime.

Thanks for the feedback which confirms my understand in that the HS52’s are not quite in the same performance league as the PS71’s so I’m leaning more towards the PS3 given the competitive pricing at Camskill who also do the Hankook but at £66, they are only £9 each cheaper than a PS3.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s99p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_15_inch_R15_inch_-_195_50_15_195_50R15

Where were the HS52s at £43? Was that Camskill?

Presumed that price might be plus fitting, plus the shipping of course.

I used to use camskill all the time, but garages tend to overcharge for fitting tyres they didn’t supply and it ended up saving nothing. Now I just use Asda tyres and end up getting sent to my local place anyway, that way any issues I’ll take it straight back.

1 Like

My local garage can compare favourably with Black circles fitted prices. I bought Kumhos for my daily driver that way. I gave them the Black circles price fitted price they came out just +£12 all in fitted on the set. So I let them order from their supplier for me, next day delivery and they also threw in a geometry check on the front.

1 Like

100% Dean. I used to do exactly the same!

Then with shipping charges and fitting it’s become somewhat of a null point.

Yes, Camskill and shipping is £26 extra
I always buy loose and get my local guy to fit for £10 per wheel as I trust him to do a proper job and not scuff the wheels.

2 Likes

Hi

ATS seem to have some Michelin offers just now. 70 off a set of 4 so £314 fitted for a set of PS3. And you get a 50 quid M&S voucher when you buy 4. Not sure how much value or utility an M&S voucher has for you but say it’s worth 30 quid ‘normal shop’ prices and you’re at about 284 all in?

Calum

1 Like