Laid up 5 insurance. Big mistake?

I had a flash of constipation inspiration last night.

I took my Mk1 off the road for nearly 3 years, as many know, while debating whether to scrap or refurbish.

Refurb it was as many know, but the kicker last Spring was re-insuring…as I did not bother given essentially it was spares/repairs rot-box.

Anyhow, I was reliably informed by a couple of companies that due to the break of non-insurance, I was back to square one in terms of NCD, which I had maxed of course.

This resulted in an extra £80.00 levy. Now, I’ll be ruddy 76 years of age before I max again.

What I never mentioned at the time was I’m actually, and always have been, joint insured as a second named with SWMBO’s 5, and my son’s Fiesta.

Has anyone had similar issues before ( eg daft as me)…as it’s going to mean inflated costs probably for (most) of the rest of my driving life.

I’ll be on the blower today to talk to them with this amazing revelation though.

NCD normally lasts up to two years if not used.  Another thing I discovered when I bought the Mk4 is that classic insurance does not count for NCD.  As I had had classic cover on the Mk2 for more than two years, I had no NCD when insuring the Mk4.

In practice some companies will ‘mirror’ your NCD from your other car if you have one - but you are a further remove from that if you are on the other policy only as a named driver.

‘Mazda’ insurance, via the dealer, gave me a quote of £300 ish for the Mk4.  When I submitted the full proposal, it was £750.  They said they had not known I had an SP30 so they would no longer mirror the NCD from my main car.  I mentioned this to the dealer’s salesman who got me the quote, who said “that’s why I didn’t tell them about your conviction”!

However quotemehappy did it for about £380 - now in third year and it is well below £300.

All you can do is shop around, some companies will recognise your risk by means other than NCD and will give you a ‘starter discount’.

John,

Many thanks for explaining all this. It clarifies pretty much what I need to know going forward.

The flip side for the Mk1 is it is used sparingly dry-days only and as such does not create a large over all budget footprint. 

Swings & round-a-bouts if you look at it pragmatically.

Not a lot of point calling them then, I’ll just shop around for the best deal come renewal.

Many thanks again.

Most people use “Computer says no” comparison sites these days which use very generic terms and have no “intelligence” 

Try talking to an actual broker, someone who actually understands insurance, and you are very likely to get a better result. I have been with REIS for years, humans that know their stuff. Not saying it will be cheaper, but the cheapness comes from cutting out the human wages part and that included the intelligence and knowledge. 

As above really, you need to talk to a human. I use the compare site prices and take it to them as a bargaining tool.

Obviously your case is different, try Admiral, they’ve been pretty good at listening to my bartering over the last 3 years, even mirroring my NCD from my other car. Some companies only take into account up to 9 yrs NCD, some 15 yrs, to some it doesn’t matter that much as long as you have a few years and claim free with a perfect driving record, maybe if you can prove that it all helps.

ScottishFiver.

I’ll send you a PM.