Lakeland

The Struggle, between Patterdale and Ambleside, we did this in convoy. Sometimes down in second or first gear, top down and always a view on Lake Windermere. Breathtaking scenery.

I’m up in the Lakes next March, so I’ll add this to the ‘to do’ list; thanks.

I have done the Struggle several times in my Jeep but always downhill to Ambleside until last April when we were in the lakes with our 5 and we did the Struggle up hill.

The very last section uphill on the Struggle up to the Kirkstone Pass Inn stays in my memory.

Richard.

When I was at university in Ambleside I lived in a house at the bottom of the Struggle. Many, many times the air was full of the scent of burning brakes! 

In fact, the minibus test I did to drive the college 'bus involved me driving up the Struggle, reversing into a parking space in the car park at the top and then driving back down again, all without scaring the Transport Officer. Passed!

Did this from Ambleside with a minibus full of work colleagues taking the mickey on the way to climb Helvellyn.  Not that bad really.   Its best done downhill for the views for obvious reasons.??

Did it a few times in my old Roadster, but for some reason I’ve never got round to taking my Mk3 to the Lakes.  My favourite road there is through Chapel Stile to Langdale, and then up the hill to Little Langdale and a stop at the Three Shires Inn

I did this a little while back, I enjoyed it so much I immediately turned around went back up so as I could come back down again. If there was a passenger I’m not so sure they would’ve enjoyed it as much.

Just bought my first MX5 a couple of months ago

Been up and down the Struggle a few times in a few different cars, including a knackered Land Rover and most recently my Camper Van.

I love the Lakes and have a mission to drive all the major passes in a day, starting in Ambleside, up the Struggle and down Kirkstone into Patterdale, then round to Keswick and down the side of Derwent before climbing over Honister (Café and cake stop at the slate mine…) then through Buttermere and out to the main road south to Gosforth.  From there, through Santon, and Eskdale Green to the mighty Hardnott and Wrynose, optional finish over into Langdale…

That’s a great route. I’ve done it a few times (minus the struggle), but on two wheels.

http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.co.uk/

I’ve done this route a few times now, love it

http://goo.gl/maps/yCAQI