Late Mk1 1.8 NA Exhaust Options

Appreciate the “which exhaust” threads are somewhat done to death but really wanted to try and add something as a new member.

I’m in the camp of loving my mk1 but just wanted it to sound a bit sportier. Fine if you own anything prior to ‘96, you’ve got immediate options, but if you have the different down pipe and longer CAT then options off the shelf are next to none. No Cobalt, no MX5-Parts etc. (Either way I have a feeling from many posts they aren’t quite what I’d have wanted.)

I have absolutely no affiliation, I’m not attempting to promote anything. My only link here was a friend with a Clio Sport 182 that went the same route. Anyway, yesterday I had a Longlife cat back, custom stainless steel exhaust fitted at Interpro in Thornbury near Bristol. As I understand it Longlife is a franchise that garages can buy in to, so totally get if it others have a different experience.

Either way, they gave me the option of tail pipe style and sound level I wanted to achieve. I wanted something that gave more exhaust tone but I absolutely didn’t want that horrid drone you get with so many off the shelf options. Been there, done that and I’m 41 not 21.

Options for sound level were from 1 (stock) to 4 (straight-piped, head exploder). I went for 2, or as they called it Mild-Sport. I’m absolutely delighted with it. It’s sociable when you aren’t provoking it, but has a great sporty note when you’re on it. I debated with myself, even while travelling down to the garage yesterday morning, if I should go to level 3. So pleased I didn’t. This is perfect. Even my other half approves.

So, for those that are after hearing their exhaust above some of that engine tone, while making progress down your favourite B-Road, with no motorway drone, I’d genuinely recommend the same route. Went from grinning like the usual idiot to grinning and telling myself (out loud) how much I loved my Mk1.

Hoping this might help others who might be after something similar to me.

1 Like

Can’t hear it…:sweat_smile: