Latest news on the National event - now with ticket prices and application form

Latest news on the national event.  

Ok, the 15-20 team have been feverishly beaveing away. As well as building a fine dam, we have put in place the plan for the national celebration next year of the 20th anniversary of the car we know and love.  
We currently have Mallory Park, Leicestershire, booked for the 12th and 13th of September 2009 and this will be a major entertainment event.
The plan is to combine the weekend with a British Automobile Racing Club meeting and use the facilities and surrounding area to the full.
We have chosen a motorsport venue because we obviously want to centre this around the car, while at the same time providing a whole range of both car related and unrelated activities and stalls. 
The central point will be the Owners Club marquee. The plans for the track are to provide a variety of action, both to participate in and to watch. The starting point is the Max5 race series who will be racing the next day and they are keen to show you what a race MX-5 can do and would love to take you on "hot laps." There will also be oportunity to drive your own car, to drive cars with an instructor and to drive some of the current Mazda range again with instructors. There will be super cars present and again the oportunity to drive one of these under instruction. We currently expect that Mazda will run their well known Hot Laps activity as at the recent Motorshow and we will also be holding the final round of the Mazda on Track Sprint series that will run next year. And if that is not enough there will be drifting demonstrations from those for whom sideways is the new straight. All this will culminate in an attempt to set a new world record for the most one type car in procession.
Off the track we will have a trade stand village with all the suppliers you know and love, our usual competitions and prizes plus things for the not so petrol head. I'm hoping for a cream tea stand next to a slipper stall, I like cream teas! There will be other refreshments and a beer tent, off road driving, fun fair rides, live music and even a firework display in the evening and the chance to win the 15-20 car that is currently receiving the attention of the finest purveyors of Mazda love and care going.

This is to be an event where the MX-5 Owners Club shows the whole Mazda community what great cars they are and what a great club this is. Therefore it is intended to be an all encompassing event and so other MX-5 groups and clubs and also other types of Mazda car will be invited, even from Europe.

Obviously this is a big event, and we have a budget entrance fee of £30 per car but we believe it will be more than worth it.

We are currently waiting on the white smoke from the chimney.

So how does that grab you?

EDIT.It has been pointed out to me, correctly, that the proposed entrance fee is not clear. £30 would be for two occupants and the car for the weekend. Numbers are still being crunched at the moment, but it would be reasonable to expect early booking discounts and reductions for one day attendance and for drivers only.

Thanks for the info Nick, but at £30 entrance I think you can count me out and probably many others in this current climate.

still nice to know our clubs £100k reserve is being put to good use.

Anyone want to buy a cheap Lemans?

£30 per day or for the weekend, per car, not on occupancy? MX5OC exclusive, with others by invitation, or open to the general public?

Max5 racing when? Sunday? We pay separately to see that or…?

It will be that “exclusive” event that was so argued for when it was suggested by the mere members that we run the event at the silverstone classic.

Dissapointed is not really the word.

That is £30 per car for 2 days if you want to stay.

The purpose of this thread is to guage opinion. I will say that there is a broard range of opinions within the 15-20 team.

Hi Harco,

The purpose of this post is to gain an understanding of what members think.

So from your reply, what would you see as an acceptable activity and what cost would you attribute to that? As an example I went to the cinema last night with my partner and it cost me £15 for for a film that did not last 2 hours.

Opinion… I would pay the £30 and go to the event but I do think it is a bit pricey for an OC event, hopefully the laid on attractions would mean I would come away thinking that my £30 was well spent. I’m not keen on the idea of inviting “other types of Mazda car”.

Harco,

I am sure you can not be aware then that there are already plans to have a strong pressence at the Silverstone Clasic and plans to have as much show that as they will let us. I believe it was also said at the time that the main national event was held in July that effectivly ends the year for national meets as we then could not have one later in the year too.

I would advise however there is also a entrance cost to the Silverstone Classic.

Nick

See you at the Silverstone Classic then :slight_smile:

About the same price for 3 days if you buy the tickets in advance - and you can pick and chose the days you want to go, too.

My arguement is why should there be a cost?

even at £30 and around 500 cars (spring rally and national attendance) thats 15k, much much less than 100k. This event should be FREE to members not an exclusive event to those who can afford it. With accomodation, fuel, food etc it will turn into a rather expensive event for some people. By all means make a charge for track use or whatever but not for admitance.

Its a 20th anniversary celebration and the money sits in the bank, what exactley ARE they saving it for?

And before anyone says anything, I CAN afford it, but unlike some Im thinking of others as well. I have decided that I will not attend on PRINCIPLE whilst an addmission charge exists, sorry

I hear the Porsche Club will NOT be going to the Silverstone Classic in 2009, so if 3-500 MX5’s turn up there WE will be the biggest club on show - and racing is already laid on, as are air displays, Scalextric racing, food, photo opportunities, trade stands, other clubs, the general public, etc. What’s the difference?

I think we should try to keep this thread on topic please, just opinions on the planned event.

Thank you [:D]

I am not trying to be controversial here, or start a fight.

I will ask the question again in a different way. What is it that you would expect from a National event in a special year?

As there seems to be an issue with money, how much do you think the club should spend per member on an event?

Nick,
It’s great to see someone trying something different for a change…
But, you seem to be putting an awful lot of faith in the MaX5 Championship being a great attraction. Now I like motor racing but let’s face it MaX5 isn’t the force it once was. The capacity 40 odd grids of 2007 are long gone. Let’s hope for your sake that the race series will be better supported next year - they were down to just 15 cars for this year’s final round - while the breakaway Ma5da Racing series managed over 30 for its season finale. And because Sept 12/13 is already pencilled in as the provisional date for the next year’s last Ma5da Racing event at Brands - you won’t be able invite any of the other MX-5 racers to attend to help swell the grid.
I just hope you are not putting all your eggs in the wrong basket.
Here’s a little thought for you. Would it not be ironic if one of BARCs other championships, the very well supported Lancaster Insurance MG Owners Club Championship,
was part of the race meeting?

Am I right in thinking that the main event will be on a Saturday?
And that once you’ve paid your £30 (ish) per car, will all the attractions you mention be free to members (the MaX5 hot laps, supercar drives, Mazda’s zoom zoom challenge, taking your own car on circuit etc) or will there be further cost involved?

I have expressed my feelings Nick, and in the interests of the club I will end it there. I will instead PM you with my thoughts as this thread is really about all yours and others hard work and shouldn’t as you rightly said turn into a fight of words.

My thoughts are not necessarily those of others and I except that, but you did ask for them [:)]

£30 admittance - any discounts for OC members?
What is not included in the £30 fee? - or does it include all the items listed for free? (i.e. track time, passenger rides, off-road stuff, etc).
 Any overnight camping at the circuit? (there is a very big field!).
Is this a self-funded event? - i.e. are costs to be covered solely by admission fees?
I only live a mile away, but if it’s £30 just for admission then I think I’ll just hop over the fence…
I did offer to help (on the old forum), but nobody took me up on my offer - I have had contact with Mallory in the past, and being only a mile away might have been useful…
Thanks anyway.

And thank you for giving them, that is what I wanted. [H]