Leaking power steering rack

1. My model of MX-5 is: __UK Mk1
  2. I’m based near: __Wokingham Berkshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Leaking power steering rack

This isnt my rack but a picture of the same which has a new leak from this drain trap??.
I dont want to crack the seal that remains till I know more about what it does and can you get replacement seals?

Any advice on how easy to fix…new seal ? and jointing compound?

Refurb / Reseal kits are available.
Trying to repair a fail…not a great solution. Highly pressurised after all.
Call Andrew at Autolink in Dumfries…he may have a kit.

You may be in “luck”…sort of.
BUT…Andrew will tell you whether it’s OK for yours or not.

Distribution breakdowns globally have been impacting stuff though.
I ended up having to buy a used / rebuilt one. Then again, mine was really shot all over.
Expensive.

I wasnt suggesting a sealant repair…question is do you seal in the new washer/o ring?.
There looks to be original (dry) sealant on my casing.

No idea.
I’ve done me best.

Hmm, that looks like the the pre-load adjustment and its locknut. Special tools and conditions are required to set this correctly.

Also that part of the rack should be greased and not under pressure. The pinion has seals either side of the valve, and the rack is sealed either end of the pressure driven part.

If that is leaking PS fluid then it should go back to whoever supplied it!

Thanks for advice and warning, I wont be touching this.
I am in the process of cleaning and running up to determine exactly where fluid is coming from.

1 Like

You were welcome. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Just to let you know you are not alone.

Much more likely leaks are from the pipes and the fittings where they are fixed to the rack.

Rust is a major problem on steel pipes because it tends to drill down between the steel crystals from outside and eventually causes pinholes.

reads very similar…did you ever fix it or just live with it ?.
thanks for the link.

I decided to just live with it.
It was so small and now it seems to have got even less.
I haven’t had to put any fluid in for two years now and I do check the level regularly. I think I probably use more fluid wiping the dipstick clean to check the level than I do on the leak :slightly_smiling_face:
D.