Leather seat creases

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ '21 R-Sport
  2. I’m based near: __ Neath, South Wales
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ creases in leather seat…

Hi all, im getting quite a few creases on the edge of my seat - no doubt from where I’m pivoting to get in and out of the car. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce them or stop them from getting worse? I’m using Auto Glym Leather Balm ATM, but would appreciate any advice…

It won’t do any harm but it probably won’t help. So-called leather seats on modern cars are normally sealed from the factory so it’s debatable if the seat will absorb any of the balm. Search on YouTube - there are a few interesting videos on this (I haven’t watched any for a while).

You probably need to lower yourself into the middle of the seat and raise yourself out instead of swivelling in and out over the side of the base (which is what I’m guessing you are doing?). Have you got a photo of the issue?

I get in mine using the “Lotus Elise method” :wink: Left leg all the way into the footwell then fall into the middle of the driver’s seat… obviously don’t actually drop all your bodyweight :laughing:

Thanks. I’ll get a photo shortly …

You’ve got PROPER full grain Nappa leather seats in the R-Sport, so I wouldn’t touch any artificial ‘balm’ rubbish. Can easily dry out natural leather.
Here is a guy who knows his stuff from the US Miata forum. Really worth a read, with his care procedure. Post is A* superb.

Note though, for the wax/conditioner, he went from using Maadgoods, to Smiths all natural leather balm
(link at bottom). The Dr. Bronners he uses for cleaning (albeit diluted) is readily available on eBay etc

I use this process myself in an Elgrand I got with proper leather seats.
Your Nappa leather is even better.
Look after it. That post^ is an education.

Sorry for the delay in posting the pic of the seat. Please see attached… Does it look bad? Also thanks for the detailed reply. I will order

the products!

1 Like

Can’t see cracks. I’d personally just follow the regime the guy I linked recommended and see how it goes.

Here is another of his, where he mentioned typical high street leather products on Nappa (i.e don’t). He also mentioned the importance of not overly conditioning Nappa (as in only 1-2X a year is fine).
Post 23

As mentioned, he now uses the conditioning leather product mentioned above (Smiths).
Also for initial cleaning, if I recall, he uses the Dr.Bronners to clean at a 1:20 Bronners/Water ratio (i.e, not strong)

When you do it, the Smiths is a ‘proper’ hard waxy product, meaning it’s best to do it in the warmer weather, like we’re hopefully coming to, as it massages in easier. I just use my fingers to put it and rub in, no cloth. You can of course do it in the winter (I have), it’s just easier to work in in the warm.

Not to me, no. Don’t get too caught up in trying to keep it perfect, just look after it the best you can and get out and enjoy the car. Seats can be repaired and even reupholstered but missed drives are lost forever.

2 Likes

For the OP: I would get caught up making it look perfect, but then that’s just my view. Me being me. Beautiful Nappa leather, and you clearly care for your car (displayed via the thread), want it to look its best, and a little bit of correct maintenance goes a long way. You might find the whole thing takes an hour at most, which hardly will constitute missed drives being lost forever- unless of course you drive 24 hours a day! Your car your approach. Good luck.

1 Like