LED lights and touring in Europe

I understand that the latest (2024) iteration of the MX5 features LED headlamps & running lights, possibly the rear lamps as well.
Many European countries demand that drivers carry spare bulbs and failure to do so may be subject to an on the spot fine. Clearly carrying spare LED bulbs is not possible (I believe the lights are sealed units) so what would this mean in the event of being stopped by the police? How would one explain the situation that it is not possible to carry spare bulbs?
I would add that in 30 years of driving in Europe I have never been stopped and been asked to exhibit a spare bulb kit, warning triangle or hi-viz vests!

MX5Parts do an IL Motorsport bulb kit for the Mk4. ONly actually contains three bulbs! It does also have a selection of fuses and a torch. Would be a lot cheaper just to buy the three bulbs to make sure you are legal.

I have just got spares of the non led bulbs ready to take, bought individually off ebay.
As you say, unlikely to be asked for them but as long as you can show your spare set, it shows you are aware of the need and have complied.
A spare set of £1500 headlight units in the car is clearly ridiculous!

2 Likes

That’s a very good point actually. I will just take the spare bulb kit I always carry, I doubt the authorities will twig they don’t actually fit the car! I don’t know if the indicators and tail/brake lights are also LED. I shall investigate once the car arrives!