Lets go and see Anne, Amos and Mr Wilks

Plans to open up the set of long-running ITV soap operaEmmerdale to the public for the first time have been recommended for conditional approval despite objections about the increased traffic and visitors the tours would introduce.

Emmerdale has been one of the UK's favourite soaps for the past 42 years and has been filmed and produced at a purpose-built set within the grounds of the historic Harewood Estate since 1998.

A proposal, submitted by Harewood House Trust Ltd, Harewood Estate and ITV, seeks permission for visitor tours to be allowed in addition to the principal use of the Stub House Farm locale as a TV production space. The current permission in place prohibits tourists visiting the site.

The initiative, which is expected to boost the tourism economy, would enable fans to visit the soap set and see how the cast and production team use the site on a daily basis. Each tour would cater for a maximum of 30 visitors and one tour guide, lasting approximately two hours.

In a report to be scrutinised by Leeds City Council next week (30 July), the plans have been recommended for conditional approval.

Objections were received highlighting how when large events such as the Game Fair and the VW Rally take place at Harewood there is an enormous increase in traffic and this creates congestion problems on local roads.

To that end, objectors thought the introduction of Emmerdale tours would generate significant additional traffic and be harmful to highway safety, while it is also feared the frequency of journeys could adversely impact on the fabric of the historic Harewood buildings and their setting and the children’s playground.

According to a report by planners, however, the proposed use is not expected to be detrimental to highway safety or damage the significance of the heritage assets involved, but instead reinforce the benefits of ITV’s contributions to the Harewood Estate, Leeds city area and the wider region.

The proposal is recommended for approval subject to planning contributions and referral to communities secretary Greg Clark as it constitutes inappropriate development in the greenbelt and a departure from the Leeds plan.

If approved, the attraction will be operated by ITV’s project partner, York-based Continuum Group, which runs attractions including York’s Chocolate Story and a tour of the former Coronation Street TV set at ITV’s Quay Street site in Manchester.

Based on a maximum annual capacity of 106,000 visits, it is estimated that about 75,000 visitors will attend the Emmerdale experience each year.

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yorkshire/143977-?utm_source=yorkshire_newsletter&utm_medium=top_story_article&utm_campaign=yorkshire_news_tracker

Yep deffo - I think it would be great to get the insights into what goes on. Would make a good run out!

A few friends and my youngest daughter have all had bit parts on Emmerale, had i any spare time from work, i could also have had one.

Keep saying that i’m going to take up the casting agencies offer one day…

Incidentally, Esholt is where it used to be filmed. The current set is loosly based on what Esholt looks like.