Lidl Intelligent Battery Charger

In case anyone is interested, Lidl’s intelligent battery charger goes on sale on thursday 16th January…

ULTIMATE SPEED® Car Battery Charger

£13.99*Each
  • Intelligent microprocessor control with diagnostics programme and controlled charging process
  • With reverse polarity, short circuit and overload protection as well as pulse charge for flat batteries
  • Suitable for most 6V and 12V car or motorcycle batteries with a 1.2 - 120Ah capacity
  • 4 variable charging rates (max. 3.8A)
  • Operating voltage: 220 - 240V ~ 50/60Hz
  • 3 year manufacturer's warranty

Thats really cheap. The Cetec one I bought a year or so ago was around £60.

These type of chargers are perfect for a car that is not a daily driver as they can be left connected for weeks, (or even months) quite safely.

Not according to Griffin battery’s,my local supplier.
I took a virtually new battery off my triumph speed triple 1050 as it occasionally failed to start the bike.
Took it back to griffin and straight away he asked if the battery had been on an optimate or similar.
He then went on to say modern batteries are not designed to be plugged into optimates or similar.
I got a refund on my battery but was advised not to use the charger.
I used to plug my mk1 into it as well but now it’s redundant and the car and bikes start no worries.

First I’ve heard.  I would be inclined to at least email Optimate and ask them if they knew what the guy at Griffin was talking about.

I have emailed Optimate and await a reply.

Hi All

Thanks for the info on the Aldi charger.  I’m going to make a special trip to get one if I can.

On the question of the Griffin man’s comments. Before writing him off. he may just have a point,

What was the battery type and size etc and what is the model of your Optimate charger.

Regards 

R-b

Me too.  My battery is lead acid, ( I know but it was in the car when we got it and its perfectly serviceable, so I’m not going to dump it).  My Cetek unit is connected 24/7 and has been for about the last 3 years.  The battery is fine and the car always starts on the button…

I have used an Optimate on several motorcycles, my Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD and yes even on my MX5 without ill effects. It has charged, maintained and recovered lead acid and also gel mat batteries and I have 100% failth in it.

Lidl have circa £20 thermal overalls at the moment if you are there have a look. They are very good. Got them last year

I bought an Aldi charger for £9.99 3 to 4 years ago but only just taken to using it. I will be very interested in the outcome of the safe or not safe discussion. Just had it on charge for 2 weeks solid as thenweather has been so rubbish to venture out.

Gave the bike aand me few airings instead

Can’t see it on their web site?? Am I looking in the wrong place?

R-b

Cetek for me every time, used one for the past 2 years, my RC is off the road from Nov-May. Starts first time every time and its left on 24/7 over that 6 month period.

That is what they are designed to do.  http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/?gclid=CIKU_K-5_rsCFUj3wgodSCwAMA

Lidl I think, glad I’m not the only one who gets them mixed up, excellent bit of kit Smile http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-1A123163-6EA718F9/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?id=203

(Lidl do the Ultimate Speed one with led light indicators, works great, checked it with a voltmeter and the lights indicate fine.

Aldi do the XS one which has a built in voltmeter and a graphic to tell you what stage it’s at, again works great.

Both are 3.8A max, both are hook up, switch on, select battery and temp and just leave them to it. Both go to float automatically at full charge and have similar charge options for bike and car batts and low temp charging.)

Mine is definitely the Aldi one XS and seems to work fine.
Joy

What a load of rubbish, don’t use a normal charger on a gel battery they need to be reconditioned(low trickle charged to bring them back to full health) or a bike charger, and you should never no matter which type of battery fitted gel or acid ,turbo or super quick boost charge one ,it will kill it,

If anyones battery is running flat to quick ,then get it checked and the charging system if need be the roadsters wiring by someone who knows thses babies.

M-m

That’s wierd.  There was lots of car stuff in their regular ‘specials’ e-mail I received on the 13th, but none of it appears on their web site list of thusday specials.
It was definitely there as I copied the product offer and description into the first post.

Hi Eric, it’s in Lidl Smile http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-1A123163-6EA718F9/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?id=203

Senior moment Eric, or as you say, “Brain farts”.  I have loads of 'emLaughing.

Silly me.  Well, I am getting on a bit. Embarassed