Lightly modified MX5 under 25

Hi all, new club member. I’ve had my MK2.5 since 06/22 and I’ve loved every moment with it - however I would like to add some bits to the car to make it a little more “mine”.

My plan going forward was to get some new alloys, as the current ones are a bit tatty - and swap the shocks and springs which are getting on a bit after 20 years or so with a set of Tein coilovers. Thats all, nothing more, nothing less. I dont plan on performance modding my car in any way, as I think the 1.6 NA engine is just perfect for me.

I am however having some issues with insurance. I have been driving since late 2018, I was born in '99 and have 4 years NCB. I have been quoted from 1.4k from Sterling to 2.3k through Lancaster (as I am under 25 I think…)

My question is, any young drivers who’re driving MX5s as their only car and have some non-performance related modifications - what insurance providers are you using? I have looked into Greenlight, but I haven’t had a chance to call them as of yet - as they seem to be good for modified insurance. I am currently only paying about 400 quid a year with eSure and im fairly happy with that, but do wish to modify the car - esure wont even touch it.

Thanks all :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am 27 and drive a ND/Mk4, I am insured with Sheila’s Wheels which is part of Esure with modifications declared (exhaust, wheels, suspension, big brakes) :man_shrugging:

I have a feeling it might be as much your age as it is the cars age. Have you tried Adrian Flux, sometimes get mentioned in here although I have never used them?

From memory I was with Esure pre-modifications but they wouldn’t insure with mods declared so I went to Admiral and have since moved again due to renewal costs.

So Lancaster offered me 2.3k
Adrian Flux said £1011 and knocked off £12 bringing it below the 1k mark.

I have a feeling you’re right about my age, also to the fact I haven’t had the car for a full year yet - although in June that will change.

Just wasn’t sure if there were any other places I should look at, maybe I’ll check Sheilas and see what they say.

A plan are worth trying :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Ill give them a bell tomorrow, them and Keith Michaels as a friend has recommended.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.