Long Aerials…

Just out of interest, what is the seeming fascination with short aerials on the MX-5? The original MX-5 had a long fixed aerial and in my mind this has become a bit of a “feature” of the MX-5. Mazda have retained a long aerial (maybe electric retractable) throughout its 35 year production. Many owners seem to dislike a tall aerial and change it to a short one. Just wondering why. I’ve got a 2024 ND and I’m planning to look to buy an original NA steel aerial to replace the plastic one as a homage to the NA. I’m even considering changing the electric one on my RS Limited to an original static pole type.

Discuss…

4 Likes

OK< I’ll bite, as I’ve had short aerials on both my NCs.

Aesthetics - I just think that it looks better. Obviously that’s entirely a matter of personal opinion.

Functionality - Not everybody listens to their radio. (I do, so I spent reasonable money on a Honda 39151-T5R-305 which provides very good reception, but you can get stubbies from 99p upwards).

Vandalism - short aerials are less likely to attract vandals.

Car covers - many will go on over a short aerial, but not a long one.

You’re not “biting”,it was a genuine question.

I’m with you Robbie…
I love my leccie retractable on my Mk1.
Stubbies and shark-fin types ? Meh :unamused:

1 Like

The little shark’s fin on the back of our Mazda3 works very well indeed.

It is almost in a perfect place for best reception; far away from the electrically noisy engine, and reasonably central in an “rf ground-plane”. And it’s not easily reached by a casual passing vandal.

It performs much better in all bands than the rear-window-heater aerials I suffered with on earlier GM and Ford cars.

But how to put such a thing on an MX-5? Middle of the boot lid? No chance!

Health and safety. "You’ll have someone’s eye out with that…" :wink:

4 Likes

Trying to work out if you are aware that Mazda have put a shark fin in the middle of the Miata boot lid…

UK MX-5

US Miata

Side note: Did they have two cars in the same shoot or was a lot of photoshop used?

1 Like

And to answer @Roadster_Robbie’s question; I just prefer the stuffy :man_shrugging:
I don’t like the RC car look when seeing the shadow on a motorway

I’m with TOGs_driver on this.

Couple of close calls when washing the car so I put a stubby on.

I think one plain car with only common features to both images but none of the differences and Photoshop. The girl and her shadow are clearly pasted over them.

Shark fin car has added reversing camera, side repeaters, lower ride height, more spokes in the wheels
Other has added parking sensors.

Sorry, didn’t mean “bite” in any bad way, just that I’d have a shot at trying to answer your question…

I’ve always had the long aerial on mine, when purchased over 10 years ago.
No issues with signal and I think it suits my MX along with the rest of the standard car.
Maybe they will become a collectors item………!

2 Likes

NBFL Madge came with electric adjustable and when the electric packed in I just used it manually for four years, she now has the electric working again. I like the RC car look and the chrome matches her IL boot rack. Listen to the radio quite a lot though with the roof down I only hear it properly when driving around town.

Visible aerials are so very 1989 aren’t they? They look tacky and dated and having nearly impaled myself on the standard anachronism on my ND it was quickly replaced with one of this funky little stubby jobs.

1 Like

I think it just brings it up to date a little. For me it’s purely aesthetic and seems to perform almost as well as the original.

Most cars now are designed for the aerial to be as discreet as possible or even invisible. Many of my previous cars didn’t even look as though they had one at first glance, which I think is good design. Mustang had a small round bump on the roof, bmws had the shark fin, even my old Nissan from 1999 had it built into the rear screen. To me, foot long aerials seem like an afterthought of necessity - less so on the roof for some reason but definitely when fitted on wings and quarter panels.

Purely my own opinion of course. :+1:

I’ve never worried myself about looking dated or anachronistic, kind of what the original MX-5 vibe was all about IIRC :wink:

3 Likes

I tried a stubby briefly on one of my cars and reception was rubbish, happy to wave it about for a good tune…

1 Like

I have literally poked it in my eye twice when working on the car, changed to a dab compatible stubby about a month ago. I can see clearly now…

1 Like

I think the long aerial gives it a bit of old skool character, can’t think of any other current production cars that have one?

3 Likes

I changed mine to short one on my ND, but I do have appreciation for the original one too. Overall I prefer the looks with the short one, which is why I switched it over. I never listen to radio as I use Android Auto so reception is not a concern for me.
Perhaps in time I could change my mind and revert to the original one.