Looking for any history on my car

Hi I’ve recently bought this car from a salvage dealer
I’m looking for some history on it
Many Thanks

Looks like a very clean car.
Check out the MOT history
; very clean with low mileage.
What on earth was that doing at a salvage dealers’?
I would add that it will have had some welding done at some time. Having only done 500 - 1000 miles a year it did around 3000 in the year to the March MOT this year. Hazard a guess there was a change of owner somewhere around 18 months ago.

Had a rear end shunt
It’s been very well looked after
Which I’m very surprised that the previous owner let it go

Couldn’t help but think of that after seeing the perfect picture of the front :wink:

Check the diff carrier very carefully for cracks or distortion. The diff is joined to the gearbox via the PPF. To protect the driveline, Mazda built in a breakaway in the diff carrier, I think on one side only.

What sometimes happens, and more with cars with rear hits, the body gets straightened out, boot floors reformed, the car is driven away, and the diff carrier breaks. I recall one owner where the carrier failed on the driveway of the coachworks.

I’m also thinking, with the previous sill welding repairs, a lot of that fresh red paint on the underside might be paint on rust. The rear of the car (boot floor) generally suffers surface rust only.

Its obviously had a lot of work done, including a respray. Check the paint isn’t on the plastic bumpers, and what it looks like around the windscreen seals (likely repainted with the windscreen in place, but sometimes they don’t bother repainting the windscreen surrount, if the paint is alright).

This is how it looked before I painted it red
Only a small patch of rust on the passenger footwell near the sill which I treated before the paint
Thought I’d give it a bit of colour underneath

Its been fitted with 1.8 lower arms.

Yeah the rear subframe has been changed as well
The car had two MX5 owners club stickers on it
I was hoping that someone in the club would know the car and give me some history of it
As it’s been very well looked after

1 Like

JASS frame rails as well. It might help jog people’s memories if you showed more photos of the car, and indicated which bits you have changed. Over 10,000 people, at one time or other, been members of the MX5 Owner Club over the years. That’s a lot of cars with club stickers on them.