Looking for exhaust to fit 475mm cat

Hi all!

I have a 1997 NA8 with the 475mm cat, the mid pipe and back box really needs replacing but I’m looking for an exhaust like a Cobalt but apparently it won’t fit mine.

Do you have any info or links to exhausts that would fit mine, like the Cobalt I’m after something that sounds better than stock but isn’t so loud that it will annoy me on long journeys. Any info would be appreciated if you have any! Thanks!

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1997 NA 1.8 UK
  2. I’m based near: Shepton Mallet, Somerset

The Cobalt will fit but it has to be chopped and welded.

Jetex are listing a system for long cats

I’d say thats a good price. The Cobalt system, which is Taiwanese made, gets a lot of coverage because its cheap. What the Jetex has that Cobalt doesn’t, is a lifetime warranty

1 Like

Thanks for the link, I’ll take a look! :smiley:

Have you got any further with this?

I’d be interested to know how you get on in your search for a subtle sounding s/s exhaust to fit with 475mm cat.

1 Like

Moss have a discount on right now so I’ve bought a Cobalt kit (knowing it won’t fit). My wife’s family run a garage and said they’ll modify it slightly to fit.

MOT is due at the end of the month so its being fitted right before its test, I can ask what they’ve done and let you know if you want? I’m guessing they’ll just take a little out of the midpipe to allow for the longer cat.

1 Like

Yes, please keep me updated. Thanks Ray

To be honest, whenever I see late cars with modified cat backs, the fit isn’t great. Better off having a new mid pipe made.

And you’ll have no warranty. Stainless steel exhausts do faill