Looking to buy an ND soft top, new member, thoughts on this BBR car please

The ND1 Super 200 does increase the revability of the engine with the rev limiter being reached in very short order. Improves the engine no end.

1 Like

I’m running the original V1 gearbox with numerous track sessions and 24k miles with no problems whatsoever.

Just be super careful inspecting the car. I was told a car I went to look at “was just like new” it wasn’t!!

Assuming both of them are in equal condition, the one with half the mileage is in my view a far better buy, especially if you’re not sure if you’ll keep it long. Very few people pay more for modified cars. In general the trade hate them, and the price they pay reflect this. - it’s more of a risk and the potential customer base shrinks - eg: think towbars and the number of traders that remove them prior to sale. Some people, including me, will immediately discount a car that’s been used for towing and look elsewhere, especially if it’s a plentiful model. The same for modified cars, particularly engine wise. The gearbox would also be a worry in my head, even the fifth and latest revision isn’t bomb proof, just better. In addition, Mazda did a lot of work on the ND2 skyactive engine to enable an increase in power and revs - there’s a lot of different parts in it - they wouldn’t have done that if it wasn’t necessary to keep reliability.

Also, and just saying, it’s the end of the buying season for convertibles, increasing interest rates and inflation are affecting most people, and as this type of car is rarely bought as a ‘need’ purchase, sales are stalling. If you did go for either, a very cheeky offer should open negotiations. You’re not far off a low mileage 2019 ND2 at the price of either of the ones mentioned, and I know where my money would go.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Whatbis wrong with having a tow bar fitted on a second hand car?
I had a V70 and used it for towing a caravan. Toured all over France in it. Sadly the water seized when it was on 268k miles… however that was not down to towing.
It was still on it’s original clutch too

Simple answer.
There’s no way of telling what the cars been towing - it could be a 1/4 tonne 2 wheel trailer for occasional dump runs, or a tonne and a half of caravan across Europe. Or a horse box!
Just about every mechanical component, from power train to suspension, is under more load/stress when towing, and things will therefore wear out more quickly.
Avoid.

2 Likes

I went to see the car today at the small dealer in Essex. Paul, the owner, has a really good selection of low mileage cars in excellent condition. Plenty of hard top NCs incidentally, must either be cheap to obtain or difficult to sell but they were all tip-top.

He keeps the cars in immaculate condition it has to be said, and he’s very no-nonsense, there was no sales patter, he seems to rely on the quality of the cars to sell themselves. There was definitely a substantial period of time while he was making sure I was a serious buyer not a joyrider lol. Doesn’t help turning up in the old Nissan X Trail dog and bike transporting car :smiley:

Firstly, I can fit in the car just fine at 6’1" and a bit, the roof is barely an inch from my head and in the RF I was practically touching cloth.

I initially thought the car was a touch overpriced for the mileage but after looking up similar Recaro cars on AT and considering the money that’s been spent on it and the condition, it was actually very well priced for a dealer. Lovely colour too, and I’d never have chosen it if was my order.

The folder of receipts was an inch thick and I counted upwards of £5k worth of extras spent (the steering wheel alone was $700 from the USA and it’s lovely). There was £500+ on retro fitted Apple CarPlay, £1000(?) on Mazda lowering springs and a full geo, all documented, and £2.5k on the BBR 190 tune with sports exhaust, manifold etc (with a rolling road print out).

As well as several little bits like smoked indicators, wired-in dash cam, subtle footwell lights, boot liner, debadged… The issue with the roof fouling the roll bars was also addressed with a a new roof from Mazda, and a written agreement with the original dealer that if it occurred again they would replace it?!

It felt plenty fast enough, despite having owned a few very quick track cars I’m not after something ballistic for the road but it was still urgent enough for me. I don’t intend to redline it at every set of traffic lights. The geo was quite pointy, turn in was instant and there was better feel than I expected from the electric power steering considering the stick it gets.

So, I have bought the car. First non-Lotus I’ll have owned in almost twenty years.

5 Likes

Congratulations on your purchase, sounds like an excellent buy!

1 Like

Yes, congrats on the car - sounds to be spot on from your description. Be great to hear how you get on with it once you’ve got some miles under your belt!

1 Like

Congratulations, not surprising as Martin looked after it very well!

Congratulations !
Your car mods are much like mine … but I envy your seats :grinning: !

I really think it’s a great Elise replacement

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.