Looking to buy an ND soft top, new member, thoughts on this BBR car please

I’m looking into buying an ND soft top, coming from several Lotus and with a deposit on an Emira. Until that turns up (won’t be for at least a year is expect) I’m keen to try an MX5, specifically an ND. I was set on an ND2 for the reviver 2.0 engine but this car is near to me and, even though it’s not my first choice colour, it has the seats I’d like and a decent power upgrade as well as a few nice little additions like the lower suspension and sports exhaust that I’m sure is do anyway.

The price looks a little high but I’m more interested in any real world experience of the BBR upgrade and how it compares to an ND2 2.0, is the rev limit raised? How’s the torque? Can the gearbox handle it?
Many thanks,
Clive

Forgive the typos, typing on my phone!

Good company to purchase from,

That’s encouraging, thanks. The reviews and feedback I’ve found on the dealer are excellent, without exception.

I need to find time to go down there and have a look at it but I want to be sure about what I want before I waste their time.

2 Likes

I know the original owner of the Recaro and he was very fastidious in looking after it and it was garage kept. Cant say anything about the engine upgrade its had, but my Recaro has had the Super 200 upgrade from new and have had no problems with the gearbox handling the power so far. Whether you have any problems is down to how it was assembled. I know of one Recaro that has done 100k. I would certainly recommend it’s purchase.

1 Like

Thanks for that, that’s really useful insight. It certainly appears to be an enthusiast owned car and well-looked after. I really like the wheels, interior trim and seats on the Recaro model and my only reservations are the colour and the engine upgrade, and the reliability and performance being close enough to an ND2 to not feel like it’s underpowered (I appreciate that owning an MX5 is not about power, of course :smiley: ).
It looks expensive on the face of it but when I factor in the upgrades I’d like to do then it’s not bad value.

I need to book a test drive I think :slight_smile:

As far as the colour goes the Recaro came in Ceramic Metallic (400 of 600) or Soul Red (200 of 600) and wheels and aero kit was part of the package. I don’t think you will find it underpowered.

1 Like

I like the Recaro, beware that the seats are snug. More comfortable than the standard deck chairs if you can fit in them, although I felt to be perched a bit higher.

I think I’d be considering it alongside the unmodified Recaro PVC has up for similar money. If you’re moving it on in 12 months it might be easier to shift. At least drive both, then it will be obvious if the modified one handles like a trolley. Similarly you’ll see what difference the engine mods have made. Without a turbo, I think it probably centres on a few more rpm.

What would be fun is a back to back drive with a standard 1.5 if he has one:)

Disclaimer - I am an acknowledged curmudgeon when it comes to ‘modifications’. For others, it’s a prime reason to buy an MX-5!

That’s a very good point, driving them back-to-back, I should have thought of that :slight_smile: thanks.

I’m quite tall but fairly slim so the seats should be OK. You also make a very good point about shifting it in a year or so (if I want to…), the lower mileage for the standard one would help, too.

I haven’t cosidered the 1.5, from what I gather it’s fun and rev happy, but the ND2 is similar so I’d look at that if the BBR or ND1 2.0 wasn’t inspiring.

You need to find out what’s actually been done to it. IMO the advert does not make that clear. Also ask if there’s a dyno printout. I have a Soul Red 2.0 Sport Recaro with a BBR Super 200 conversion as well as the BBR exhaust, front brake upgrades, suspension modifications, and OZ wheels. The advertised car may have only had a remap. You can see the advertised conversions on BBR’s website, but you’ll still be guessing as to exactly what has changed: Mazda MX-5 ND – tagged "Naturally Aspirated, Conversion" – BBR GTi

1 Like

OK, hopefully they have the details of that, and receipts. Would be good if the original owner was on here? The 184bhp quoted is curiously lower than the super 190 and it seems to be more than just the remap so something isn’t accurate.

All will become clear when I go to see it I guess. I’ve sent Paul a message about seeing the car next Friday.

1 Like

What BBR advertises and what you actually get on the dyno will differ, which is expected because a lot of variables are involved.

In that case, if 184bhp is the measured output then that would be OK :+1:

Some more discussion on varying results here: ND1 BBR Super 200 - what did you hit on the dyno?

Let us know how much you find out about the car, please, it’ll be interesting. You might like the MX-5 more than you expect. I test drove a supercharged Lotus Elise and picked my MX-5 instead because it felt more fun on the road and was definitely better equipped. The Emira will be a different proposition altogether, I’m sure - a report on that would be welcome, too :wink:

1 Like

OK, I’ll put what I find out about the car and conversion up on here. I’ve had three different Elise chassis, including a 340R with a K20A Honda conversion, and I feel like I’m ready for something more comfortable and sedate, relatively speaking at least :smiley:
The Emira is still a maybe; I want to drive one first and I’ll need to see what my financial situation is in 12 months time what with the economic turmoil at the moment.

2 Likes

It’s also been lowered on Eibach springs and the steering wheel is from Guardian.

Fantastic, thank you, particularly for that video :slight_smile:

I’ve had an email back from Paul so hopefully I’ll get down to the dealer on Friday to have a proper look.

The car you’re looking at looks great.
I’d be curious to know if the BBR treatment to the ND1 improves on the un-revy nature of its engine.

I’ve come to the ND MX-5 after 2 Elises. First one was an ND1, completely standard. I enjoyed its comfort, took it on track once. The ND2 engine however is a great improvement if you like revvy engines and made me switch.
I too lowered suspension, changed the steering wheel and added a sport exhaust.
I now rarely regret not having an Elise any more. The sense of drama is not there, but the practicality of the MX5 makes up for it.

1 Like

My main reservation would be the effect of a boost in torque on an early version of “that” gearbox.