ND1 BBR Super 200 - what did you hit on the dyno?

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2016 ND 2.0 Sport Recaro
  2. I’m based near: Stafford
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Comparing results from BBR Super 200 conversion

Hi all

My car is currently with BBR having a Super 200 conversion. I’ve opted for the catted manifold and added BBR’s exhaust centre section and GT rear silencer. It’s also being serviced, so has fresh oil and a new K&N air filter. It’s hit the following on BBR’s dyno:

• Max engine power: 200.3hp @ 7050rpm
  • Max engine torque: 174.2lbft @ 4550rpm

The car is approaching 34k miles.

I was hoping for a bit better because I have had the exhaust as well and BBR quotes a maximum of 214hp and 183lbft.

What have others with a similar setup hit? Does this seem low or within expected variance?

Thanks

Mike

Depends whose Dyno you put it on!!

1 Like

BBR dyno’d the car. Those are their numbers (they still have it as work is ongoing and we’re waiting for wheels).

Original post edited to reflect this.

Mine was 210 but was virtually brand new when the conversion was done and using Shell V-Power.

2 Likes

Thanks - is yours also an ND1 with the Super 200 plus exhaust? Just checking if there are any differences apart from mileage.

Mine has V-Power in it as well.

1 Like

160 to 200 bhp in an N/A is not to be sniffed at! Peak BHP is nice but the power curve is more important.

Ambient air temp will have an input too, if it’s a hot day then won’t hit the absolute max

4 Likes

Yes ND1 Sport Recaro with the full BBR exhaust system.

1 Like

I don’t think it matters tbh… the noises it will make while driving it is worth the money alone…

1 Like

Next time I see you at a meet ask me how much it all cost, then you might revise that statement! :joy:

1 Like

I have a BBR185… so I’m familiar with the exhaust noises (and the cost :joy: )

3 Likes

There’s quite a few people who said BBR oversold their figures and they achieved less power than advertised. You would think they would undersell the figures and then people ended up with more than expected and would be happier.

1 Like

I queried it with BBR and Neil told me that some of the parts (the manifold I think) were redesigned for the ND2 to improve the torque curve. The ND1 suffered a bit in regards to peak power as a result, but they do normally make 205-210hp and mine was a touch low. It was a warm day, though. Neil did comment that they needed to update the website to reflect the newer power and torque figures.

What RWHP which is the important one?

1 Like

i think dynos now are always corrected horsepower 200 equates to just over 180 at the rear wheels
when i had a dyno it was always to the back wheels most people like to quote flywheel bhp cos its more lol
at the end of the day they all read diff so then only thing that matters is what it was before to what it is now on the same machine

1 Like

More like everyone wants to quote flywheel as it’s to some degree estimated and open to exaggeration.

I agree dynos vary. I know the Dyno mine was done on always reads less than BBR when a BBR tuned car goes on it.

2 Likes

Mine is a 2016 Recaro ND1 with 33k miles and I did the Super 200 conversion around the same time as you. I went with a decat manifold, BBR centre section and kept my existing GWR SSTT silencer. I had also fitted a new Pipercross panel filter and serviced the car.

My car dyno’d as follows:
199bhp @ 6900
178lbft @3850

However I was using regular unleaded as we can’t get the 99RON over here. It was also the start of June so quite warm. I think with higher octane petrol, the engine would have achieved another 5-10bhp.

However it’s a blast to drive now, and the figures don’t really matter. It sounds good too.

@MikeyC do you have the dyno print?

1 Like

Yes. Sorry for the delayed reply, I was on holiday.