Looking to buy my first MX5

Hi Guys

Finally after over twenty years of hankering after a MX5 the stars are aligned and I’m ready to buy. So far I’ve viewed six different cars, a couple of Mk1’s and the rest were Mk2’s.

No luck at the moment. The Mk1’s were basket cases while the all the Mk2’s had repair work to the rear sills none of which had been done properly. The vast majority of the time someone had simply welded a piece of metal over the offending corrosion and hidden the work behind underseal or paint, the last one I viewed had been fibreglassed.

Does anyone here in Northern Ireland know where there is one for sale in decent condition? I accept that the likelihood of finding a Mk1 or Mk2 without rust is virtually none existent so I’m after one which has been properly repaired to a high standard.

Good luck with your search, take your time and you will find a good one

DonT

Thanks, had a test drive in one this afternoon, the sky was clear the sun was out the road had lots of curves, driving Nirvana. Jimir 

Hi, Did you get a car yet?. I know of a very nice MK 3 with a folding hardtop, being sold by a club member. If you are interested let me know. There were also a couple of Mk2’S on our facebook site recently. One in particularily was quite nice - I had recently fitted a new Mohair hood to it for the club member. I can check if it is still for sale if you are interested.

Steven

Thanks Steven

8 5’s later and no luck so far.

I’m going to look at a Mk3 this afternoon. If that doesn’t work out I’ll drop you a line and get the details of the cars you mentioned of you.

Thanks again

chris

I’m now in the club.

shook hands on a really nice Mk3. Low mileage with super clean arches one thing I did notice a bit of paint flaking around the number plate lights on the boot. The metal underneath looked unusual am I correct in saying that it’s aluminium, do I need a special primer when I touch it up?

Hope you enjoy your car

Don

Thanks looking forward to long drives with the wind in my hair.

Excellent hope you enjoy. Yes the boot is Alloy. You will need to use an etch primer before repainting.

Steven

Thanks Steven and thanks for the information in relation to the special primer.