Looking to get some history on my 30 yr old MX5

Hi

My UK MX5 was 1st registered on 28th March 1990 which means it will be 30 years old tomorrow, I would like to find out some history about it.

Its chassis number is JMZNA18B20010 2024. And has a ‘G’ prefix reg

Short nose crank, Single hole front slam panel and gloss black hood catches, but weirdly the diff does have cooling fins? The car does have full Mazda service history, with no mention of a diff replacement

When would it have been manufactured?

The previous owner recons it might have been on one of the first ships but I don’t know how many cars the boats could carry – I have been told that they cab carry 5000 cars ?

Is there a way of knowing what number off the production line it is? I realise that it is number 2024 but I assume that that will be the number of UK versions = not including Eunos and Miata

Any info gratefully received

Stay safe everyone

Ian

1 Like

Yours would have been made in December 1989. Eunos Roadster production started in June 1989, Miata in April 1989.

In 1989, 23,052 Miata were sold. in the US, 2,827 were sold in Canada and 9,307 Eunos Roadsters were sold. So yours was about the 35,000th MX5/Miata/Roadster built.

Thank you for your information

Appreciate this is an old topic, but if @ihs61 is still about and interested…

The production date is listed as January 26th 1990.

Hi Robbie

Many thanks for this piece of info, I have added it to my cars file.
The old girl is 31 today (based upon her registration date)
Thanks again Ian

Just looking up on the early cars, mine is also a G reg UK Spec from 1990 and has the vin 1001703 so should be earlier, however it has the second hole in the slam panel, I cant remember whether the diff casing was smooth or not, the roof has been changed at some point also so the hood latches have probably been changed and they’re matte.

1 Like

This is why posts should not be locked up after a time period, new owners coming in all the time.
M-m

1 Like

Early UK cars are not early MX5s. US Miatas were produced from April 1989, UK market cars didn’t leave the production line until December 1989. A lot happened in between.

Not sure if I’m right, but I’m sure I have read somewhere that the early cars had a sports crankshaft fitted that was lighter.

The “light weight sports crankshaft” is an old internet joke. It was a deficient design that lasted until 1991, until Mazda replaced it with one that would manage to make the first cambelt service (actually, many survived fine).

I think the joke started doing the rounds in 1998-9. No, Mazda didn’t design some sort of super dupa mega revving engine for the early cars.

Very early cars have so-called ‘short nose’ crankshafts, identified by four slots in the bottom pulley rather than eight. The crankshaft itself is lighter than later ones, making for a revvier, snappier engine, but the bottom pulley is prone to working loose and damaging the crankshaft if its central bolt has been incorrectly tightened. It’s worth checking that there’s no wobble or play in the pulley.

Souce: Hagerty

1 Like

My Mariner Blue F reg Eunos had/has a short nose crank. It’s probably done over 125,000 miles, was driven in sprightly fashion for 10 years by me and, from checking the MOT website, is back on the road after a short lay-off.

If it hasn’t gone bang by now then it’s fair to assume the risk is low.

F reg must be one of the very first Eunos/MX-5’s existing? Whats the actual year of reg in say Japan or UK?

The Eunos Roadster didn 't go on sale until September 1989, but production started end June 1989. Someone used the manufacture date not first use to register the car here.

It can be adjusted, if you have a copy of the original Japanese deregistration paperwork.

When I repatriated back to GB from NI, I brought my September 1991 Roadster with me, transferred it from DVLNI to DVLA (they said they received hardly any info from NI on the car. Didn’t really matter to me, but it mattered to the next owner. I had a bit of a fight with the DVLA, as apparently they just throw away all the Japanese documents when a car is registered. The good people in Coleraine don’t though. They retain everything, forever, and sent me an official letter transcribing the contents, and confirming the first use date. Of course, they were not allowed to pass that letter to the DVLA. I had to do that (joined up government, eh?) . It took 3 months for them to issue a new plate. 12 months later, the new owner found he couldn’t tax the car, as the DVLA hadn’t properly “released” it. And the car is down as an August 2000 import (it was imported in November 1997, I purchased in April 2000, rereg in England in 2003, so random date they used)

I see Mk1 imports with messed up plates all the time, including cars on 03 plates. Also back in the day, many imports were coming in via Ireland. Fitted with ZZ irish export plates and driven here, or, quite commonly, driven up to Northern Ireland, registered there, then “exported” to GB. At the time, NI used photo driving licences and GB was still on paper licences. There was scam to somehow get the cars out of the docks on effectively fake ZZ plates, drive north, sell the car, take the car back south, and register it in the buyers name, but flashing the Gard your photo bit of the licence. It was to get around the then restrictions on personal imports, and they were running out of grannies and aunties to use. That’s what happened with my first, but the system failed because I was on a GB licence, so they had to use the Apprentice’s licence instead, and I was the second owner for a car fresh off the docks.

As you can expect, VAT wasn’t paid on all cars. One owner was surprised when the Irish police turned up on Londonderry to take away his MR2. The importers never paid the VAT in Ireland, and somehow the Irish police worked with the RUC to track down the car. The owner lost his car, buyer beware. Happens in GB; a US spec early Miata turned up in Nottingham. It was in a fairly bad state, but a Spanish owner wanted it (LHD). That’s when it was discovered that VAT and duty had never been paid on the car 10 years earlier, and that was due based on the original near new value… It came over with a US serviceman, who sold it on, and subsequent owners had no idea until it came to be exported. I think it was “scrapped” and the scrap shipped to Spain. The Nottingham MX5 dealer has long gone.